Tax on interest income

Options
Hello.

I want to ask here as it's full of knowledgeable people and having checked HMRC website and internet in general, I couldn't find the answer.

I know that interest income tax free allowance is £500 for higher tax rate payers. However, is that being established on the gross income of an individual or rather their taxable income.

I think it's quite self-explanatory that if it's the latter then any additional pension contributions that would take the person's taxable income below the threshold will allow them to earn £1,000 interest tax free. 

Many thanks.

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March at 7:50AM
    Options
    PawelGK said:
    Hello.

I want to ask here as it's full of knowledgeable people and having checked HMRC website and internet in general, I couldn't find the answer.

I know that interest income tax free allowance is £500 for higher tax rate payers. However, is that being established on the gross income of an individual or rather their taxable income.

I think it's quite self-explanatory that if it's the latter then any additional pension contributions that would take the person's taxable income below the threshold will allow them to earn £1,000 interest tax free. 

Many thanks.
    You calculate your tax liability ignoring the savings nil (0%) tax band and if you are a higher rate payer you get £500 of interest taxed at 0%.

If you are a basic rate payer you get the full £1,000.

Then you recalculate your liability including the relevant 0% band.
  • Stma123
    Stma123 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hello 
    I am a non tax paying ,  non resident . I have inherited some money ( tax free) and would like to invest it  , what tax would I have to pay on the interest ? I have been trying to get through to HMRC for the answer but to no avail. 
    I live in Spain .
    Thanks in advance 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April at 6:26PM
    Options
    Stma123 said:
    Hello 
    I am a non tax paying ,  non resident . I have inherited some money ( tax free) and would like to invest it  , what tax would I have to pay on the interest ? I have been trying to get through to HMRC for the answer but to no avail. 
    I live in Spain .
    Thanks in advance 
    Where would you plan to save (assuming you mean 'save' rather than 'invest'), bearing in mind the poor availability of UK financial products for non-residents, and how much are you talking about?

Edit: new thread now started:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6522200/tax-on-investments
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport