Help possible eBay scam

Options
SUPERGIRL2020
SUPERGIRL2020 Posts: 281 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Asking for a friend who isn't a member on here... 

My friend sold a very expensive 64GB iPad Air 5th Gen on eBay yesterday shes been paid already but I'm worried she is gonna be scammed the buyer has 1 feedback score and only joined in November last year

Should she post the iPad? 

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can only see one that has sold today but the buyer of that one has 100+ feedback?
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    swingaloo said:
    I can only see one that has sold today but the buyer of that one has 100+ feedback?
    I meant to say she sold it yesterday in a 7 day auction, shes been paid today for it by eBay the money is in her bank  
  • zackary71
    zackary71 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesn't always mean it's a scam. I had a £400 item I just couldn't sell for months. Then, it sold to a new eBayer who joined the same day with zero feedback. I waited to dispatch until cleared funds were received in my bank. All went well. We were all a new eBayer once.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Feedback isn’t necessarily a good indication of a scammer, many scammers prefer to hijack an existing higher feedback account to make themselves look respectable. 

If seller is an experienced seller then they will know how to keep themselves safe, and if they are not experienced then perhaps a high end item wasn’t the best thing to start with. Just make sure all the usual precautions around postage and keeping any identifying numbers are considered. If seller is really worried then all they can do is cancel, but ebay will retain any FVFs paid. 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    Shes been on eBay years but hasn't sold owt as expensive as this before! I'm just wary cos Ive read about so many online scams 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure it is posted to the address on the eBay order and they use a tracked postal service that covers the cost of the item. As long as it shows as delivered to the address on eBay you should be fine.

If they message asking for delivery to a different address that is a scam.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly the above - only post to the address supplied by eBay. Make sure its tracked and insured. 
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    Thanks everyone Ive told her how to post it but what happens if they say they didn't get it will the royal mail insurance pay out?
  • Atomix
    Atomix Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 March at 4:31PM
    Options
    I will only sell items like that face-to-face now, its too easy for the buyer to say - the iPad doesn't work, or wasn't in the box that was delivered etc etc...
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks everyone Ive told her how to post it but what happens if they say they didn't get it will the royal mail insurance pay out?
    As long as she has paid for the right level of cover.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback