Car insurance write off

Options
djr2031
djr2031 Posts: 19 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 March at 10:48AM in Insurance & life assurance
Not sure the forum covers this but our car has been written off by the insurance company follow a lorry clipping a steel wire causing bricks to fall on car smashing headlights. Company have said it is a cat B case,  ie only suitable for parts but I disagree.(decision reached by photos only) Does anyone know if the write off category impacts the amount of the payout?  Not had an insurance write off before. Sorry if this is outside the scope of the group

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If they want to write off the vehicle start by getting an idea of what it would cost to replace.  Autotrader and similar are good to give the cost to buy the same make, model, year, mileage and that could be your starting point.  

Get your own mechanic to look it over and see if they think there is more damage that isn't obvious in a photo.  If your person says "I can fix that for £X" and the offer is more than that maybe you can take their offer but keep the car and get your person to fix it.  You get to keep the extra.

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've asked admin to move your thread to the insurance board, lots of very knowledgeable, helpful folk hang out there. 🤗
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    djr2031 said:
    Not sure the forum covers this but our car has been written off by the insurance company follow a lorry clipping a steel wire causing bricks to fall on car smashing headlights. Company have said it is a cat B case,  ie only suitable for parts but I disagree.(decision reached by photos only) Does anyone know if the write off category impacts the amount of the payout?  Not had an insurance write off before. Sorry if this is outside the scope of the group
    The valuation of your vehicle is independent of category as it represents the pre-accident valuation. 

Assuming you dont retain the vehicle then the settlement will be valuation, less excess, less any outstanding premiums. If you have the car on finance then the settlement gets paid to the finance company.  This therefore is agnostic of the total loss category 

If you did want to keep the salvage then the settlement is reduced also by the value of the salvage and the value of the salvage is impacted by the total loss category... a car that can be returned to the road is worth more than one that has to be broken for parts or crushed. Its harder to get agreement for you to retain a Cat B and almost impossible for a Cat A
  • djr2031
    djr2031 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you.  Although we were not looking to change car pre incident we don't want to keep the car.  Just wanted to check if the write off cat made any difference before challenging what we have been offered 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    djr2031 said:
    Thank you.  Although we were not looking to change car pre incident we don't want to keep the car.  Just wanted to check if the write off cat made any difference before challenging what we have been offered 
    If you dont want to keep it, makes no difference at all to you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure