PPI reclaim tax from HMRC, and deadline?

Options
Hello, wondering if someone here can advise me - 
I write to HMRC on 8th January 24 regarding a claim of overpaid tax due to a PPI claim that I was paid in the tax year 2019-20. This was effectively a claim for overpayment of £238 against my self assessment for that year.
No response yet. I have been trying to contact HMRC about getting a response - and I'm getting concerned because my ability to reclaim for this tax year ends at the end of March. My attempts to contact them today resulted in a message saying 'we are currently processing enquiries dated 15th November, we will get to yours by the beginning of May'.... which doesn't instil much confidence! (gotta love austerity, not)
Will they still be able to issue me with the rebate, as I claimed the money within the window I was allowed to, even if HMRC doesn't process my claim within that window?
Thanks

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LisaV said:
    Hello, wondering if someone here can advise me - 
    I write to HMRC on 8th January 24 regarding a claim of overpaid tax due to a PPI claim that I was paid in the tax year 2019-20. This was effectively a claim for overpayment of £238 against my self assessment for that year.
    No response yet. I have been trying to contact HMRC about getting a response - and I'm getting concerned because my ability to reclaim for this tax year ends at the end of March. My attempts to contact them today resulted in a message saying 'we are currently processing enquiries dated 15th November, we will get to yours by the beginning of May'.... which doesn't instil much confidence! (gotta love austerity, not)
    Will they still be able to issue me with the rebate, as I claimed the money within the window I was allowed to, even if HMRC doesn't process my claim within that window?
    Thanks

If you have made a valid claim on time then you have nothing to be concerned about.

But did you definitely follow the correct procedure for someone who completed an incorrect tax return for the tax year in question and is out of time to make a normal amendment to said return?
  • LisaV
    LisaV Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I think I did... I sent all the paperwork that was requested on the HMRC website. There was a four year window for changes ending at the end of the tax year 23-24.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    LisaV said:
    Thank you. Yes, I think I did... I sent all the paperwork that was requested on the HMRC website. There was a four year window for changes ending at the end of the tax year 23-24.
    Did you follow the guidance here, at the Write to HMRC section?

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/corrections
  • LisaV
    LisaV Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. Because it was for more than a year ago, the web page said I had to write to HMRC with full details, which I did. 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    LisaV said:
    Yes. Because it was for more than a year ago, the web page said I had to write to HMRC with full details, which I did. 
    Then you should be ok.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure