I think I have been scammed by BT into an EE tablet contract!

Options
Fwank7
Fwank7 Posts: 5 Forumite
First Post
Hi,

Long story short, I have been unable to make outgoing calls on my BT landline, which turned out to be an issue at the local exchange.

I had 2 engineer visits, & was advised to get in contact with BT & request a "smart hub 2" Wi-Fi router to replace my basic smart hub. I contacted BT & did this, but they sent me the same older basic smart hub.

I contacted BT again, & was told that they can only provide this smart hub 2 if I recontact with them at a lower broadband speed of 36mbps, & plug my landline into the smart hub 2 and use digital voice calls, which I agreed to.

The chap I spoke to also said he was going to send me a FREE Lenovo as compensation, which I have received on about the 14th March, but I got concerned when I opened it & saw that it needs returning within 14 days. So I have been calling EE, & learnt that yes, I will be entered into a monthly contract if I don't return it within that time. I am trying to go through EE returns process, but it is hard as it wants my account details, which I don't have, due to never joining? 

To top it all, I have received my first bill from EE today regarding this?

Can anyone advise what to do here? I have already written to BT complaints department by post. And replied to a lady's email at EE returns department, as she could not authorize a return because I had not filled in my address correctly, and not answered the account security questions. I did try and explain this, but I have not heard back.

Please help,

Thank you.    

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    have you still got the packaging from the delivery? There should  be a return address on it?

• Fwank7
    First Post
    Options
    DE_612183 said:
    have you still got the packaging from the delivery? There should  be a return address on it?

Thank you, I do, but there is no return address & and just lots of DPD delivery numbers & barcodes.
  • timjim
    timjim Posts: 85 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely the invoice which you have received has your Account Number on it
  • Fwank7
    First Post
    Options
    timjim said:
    Surely the invoice which you have received has your Account Number on it
    Thanks, yes, the Lenovo delivery note has an account number, & the bill that I received today has a totally different account number? To be able to return it, they ask for the 1st & 3rd letter/character from my account password. I never created an account, so have no idea what the password would be?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March at 4:23PM
    Options
    Register and post your questions at 
    https://community.ee.co.uk/

I’ve never used this forum , but presumably it’s run along the same lines as the BT community form, which is very good at getting BT problems solved.

I suspect there is a lot more to your tale than what’s been mentioned here , if you do post on the EE forum , you probably should provide a lot more information than you have here , as supplying a laptop for free as compensation for the failure to fix a telephone fault that Openreach are required to fix , sounds unbelievable
  • Fwank7
    First Post
    Options
    Right, it has been a fast moving afternoon!

Just to update you all, I have been onto a really nice lady at BT. She sounded very concerned and has escalated this, & she also got onto a lady at EE & I had a chat with her.

Anyway, I have since had emails from EE giving me permission to return the Lenovo, & they provided me with free DPD return postage labels. I have boxed this up & took it to the post office, & I have had confirmation from EE that it is in the returns process. Providing everything is okay with Lenovo, then I will have any payments returned. (I had not opened Lenovo, or SIM) 

I will update you all again when they receive this.

Many thanks.
  • Fwank7
    First Post
    Options
    iniltous said:

I suspect there is a lot more to your tale than what’s been mentioned here , if you do post on the EE forum , you probably should provide a lot more information than you have here , as supplying a laptop for free as compensation for the failure to fix a telephone fault that Openreach are required to fix , sounds unbelievable
    I just wanted to clarify that the Lenovo was a M8 4TH Gen 2024 Tablet, & with regards to 'tale', well there really isn't much more to add. I mean even the delivery note itemises the SIM, Lenovo, & a welcome pack. All listed as £0.00, & it states "we confirm no payment is required".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback