PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Purchasing a new house located in a low flood risk but surrounded by Flood Zone 2/3.

Options
Maka344
Maka344 Posts: 122 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
After a long time searching for a new home, we have found a house that ticks all of the boxes. However, following on from our initial research, the house is in a low risk Flood Zone but surrounded by Flood Zone 2 and 3 due to the local river. The actual development is not in FL2/3 and is classed as very low risk. The surface water is also low risk.

The house is 4 years old and the planning application indicates that the site water management has been built for 100 years + 30% protection. 

We spoke to a couple of locals who said they do get the flood warnings but don't get actual flooding, however, we are concerned as typically, parts of Tonbridge are prone to flooding. The field behind has surface water when we viewed over the weekend. 

Any advice please? Here are a couple of screen shots:

Surface water map:

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March at 10:55AM
    Options
    If flooding continues to get worse in the future, then your currently very low risk of flooding may change. Even without an actual flood, that could make your house harder to sell. That may depend on how much higher you are than the areas more at risk. It looks as if floods could isolate your house, however, with higher risk of flooding all around you. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/06/warmer-winters-and-more-flooding-will-be-the-norm-in-the-uk-scientists-warn

Do you intend to stay in this house for decades? Or is it a stop gap measure?
  • Maka344
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    If flooding continues to get worse in the future, then your currently very low risk of flooding may change. Even without an actual flood, that could make your house harder to sell. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/06/warmer-winters-and-more-flooding-will-be-the-norm-in-the-uk-scientists-warn

Do you intend to stay in this house for decades? Or is it a stop gap measure. 
    Thank you for your response. That is the concern, although it is currently low risk, that could suddenly change. We are planning to be in this house until our children finish education, which is around 20 years. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We have had a high level of rainfall this year, so I would not be concerned about a few puddles in the field behind. Many places have got a bit waterlogged.
  • Maka344
    Options
    We have had a high level of rainfall this year, so I would not be concerned about a few puddles in the field behind. Many places have got a bit waterlogged.
    Thank you, agreed. That's pretty common on balance given the large amount of rainfall we've seen recently. 
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    what are the relevant hights of the land where the house is and the flood risk land around it?
    I bought next to a river and am in a flood risk area, but the house is on raised land and the land the other side of the river is lower, so if the river burst its banks the water owiuld naturally flow the other way.
    Yes, a risk, but some common sense examination of the landscape reassured me.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here it looks like the high-risk areas are undeveloped fields - which is kinda what you'd expect. I suppose you might want to avoid areas which suffer from a bad reputation as a neighbourhood where houses get flooded.
  • Maka344
    Options
    what are the relevant hights of the land where the house is and the flood risk land around it?
    I bought next to a river and am in a flood risk area, but the house is on raised land and the land the other side of the river is lower, so if the river burst its banks the water owiuld naturally flow the other way.
    Yes, a risk, but some common sense examination of the landscape reassured me.

I note the following from the surface water report, but I have to admit, I don't understand the figures:

Topographical Survey - A detailed topographical survey has been carried out. The site slopes from a high point in the east of 20mAOD (Above Ordnance Datum), west to a level of 18.0mAOD. There is a pond at the centre of the site.

• user1977
    Options
    Which don't you understand? "Ordnance Datum" is just sea-level.
  • Maka344
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Thank you, thus, the survey is stating the development slops from a high point in the east of 20mAOD, and a west level of 18mAOD.
  • user1977
    Options
    Maka344 said:
    user1977 said:
    Thank you, thus, the survey is stating the development slops from a high point in the east of 20mAOD, and a west level of 18mAOD.
    Ok - are you saying you don't understand that?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback