How much phone data do you use?

Options
GDB2222
GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I have recently bought a pay monthly sim for my phone that has 12 gb of data per month. After 4 days use, I have only used 130 mb.  We have Wi-Fi at home, so the phone data is only used when out.

I haven’t yet watched any films. If I did would that push up the data used a lot?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It would yes , as would watching any videos such as YouTube,  embedded videos etc , general surfing of the net, social media uses very little. 

You can find out how much data is being used and where by checking your data usage on your phone , it can be an eye opener how much you've used after watching YouTube for an hr!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    I have recently bought a pay monthly sim for my phone that has 12 gb of data per month. After 4 days use, I have only used 130 mb.  We have Wi-Fi at home, so the phone data is only used when out.

I haven’t yet watched any films. If I did would that push up the data used a lot?
    Not if you’re doing that at home on the Wi-Fi yes if you’re doing it while out and about. 

I primarily use Wi-Fi and normally come in at roundabout 1GB a month or less. This month I’ve spent five days in Krakow - there was Wi-Fi in the hotel, so I only use my inclusive data while I was out and about for public transport and Google Maps, checking and booking tickets for attractions,  things like that and I’ve still only used just over 2GB.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All seems fine so far but I'd suggest you keep mobile data switched off when you're at home. 

Your area/provider may be OK but here the WiFi (virgin ☹️) is unreliable and can slip in and out through the day. 
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Once you start watching videos on modile data it can go up quite a bit.   I believe people that use a lot of social network sites can also eat into data.

This month I have used about 20GB but tend not to use that much.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a honking huge amount of data (8GB) on my sim deal and I did look at lessening it as I rarely exceed 2GB.  But given that I only pay about £7 a month and a change to a cheaper deal had more to do with less texts and calls I left it as it is.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brie said:
    I've got a honking huge amount of data (8GB) on my sim deal and I did look at lessening it as I rarely exceed 2GB.  But given that I only pay about £7 a month and a change to a cheaper deal had more to do with less texts and calls I left it as it is.  
    Given that £7 won't buy you a pint in some places nowadays that's a pretty good deal!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The deal I am on will go up to £7 at the end of 6 months. At the moment it is only £1.  
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pay £8 for 40GB
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• pseudodox
    pseudodox Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I pay £5 per month for 4GB - have never in over 2 years ever used much more than 1GB, but I got the 4GB deal for LESS than 2GB deal.  Go figure!  Only ever use data when out & about to check emails, WhatsApp, maps for hiking routes & occasional geocaching or tourism info & to avoid logging into local open WiFi.  
  • CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    All seems fine so far but I'd suggest you keep mobile data switched off when you're at home. 

Your area/provider may be OK but here the WiFi (virgin ☹️) is unreliable and can slip in and out through the day. 
    The WiFi signal at my house is dictated by how good my personal router is and has little to do with the service that Virgin provide - unless you mean it is actually your broadband that drops out. It also has the advantage that I can use any provider I like by plugging their modem in front of it. 

If your signal drops in and out all day then I'd fix that rather than switch mobile data off when at home....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback