Sky TV

Options
I'm a Sky customer, has been since eighties. I once had the sports channels but, since both myself and wife retired we cancelled the sports and just paid for a basic package which worked out around £14 per month. All we watch are the terrestrial channels and none of the Sky channels have any interest to us. 
I contacted them today regarding my £43 per month bill and what exactly am I getting for that monthly amount, they told me I had the basics but it was £9.00 for HD channels. I asked them to reduce this monthly outlay but could only reduce it to £34 per month. I told them I will have to cancel my subscription to which he replied "ok, it will be stopped at the end of the month. 

I now have to job of sorting out a coax cable to enable free view, has anyone else had the same experience or have Sky actually lowered anyone's bill. Is freeview actually ok?
Jeff

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The HD channels are fine but the rest is like watching TV through a potato.
  • Martin_t_2
    Martin_t_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a Freesat box - almost no faffing around then. You just connect your existing satellite cable(s) to the back of the box.
  • jeff_chandler
    jeff_chandler Posts: 287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. 
    Where can these freesat boxes purchased from. 

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. 
    Where can these freesat boxes purchased from. 

Any reputable electrical retailer, do a Google.
  • Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some TV's have a satellite connector on the back it won't record but will at least get you something to watch at no cost
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you have $ky Q or $ky HD?  Not that it makes a big difference.

The only currently made freesat box is available direct from freesat https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box and is a simple plug and play swap of existing cables.

Older second hand freesat boxes can be purchased cheaper than the new freesat 4k PVR, but won't work if you have a Q LNB on the dish.
    TVs with satellite tuners also do not work with the newer $ky Q LNBs.  Nor are all TV sat tuners user friendly (i.e. use the freesat EPG and logical channel numbering).

FYI Freeview is terrestrial TV through a UHF TV aerial... IF you have a working UHF TV aerial and that works on sets not connected to the $ky box then that may mean an alternative Freeview PVR solution exists for you.  Freeview PVRs can be cheaper than freesat (but the market for PVRs is dwindling).

Freesat does have more HD channels than Freeview.
  • jeff_chandler
    jeff_chandler Posts: 287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes it's Sky Q. 
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes it's Sky Q. 
    Then the freesat 4k recordable box is a simple swap.

Either buy from freesat direct, or any retailer of your choice with stock.  They all seem to sell at the same price.

Richer Sounds sell them in 1TB £259 and 2TB £299 form and sell a 6 year Guarantee/warranty at 10% of price (refundable if not used, by claiming it back at end of the 6 years) if that is of value to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback