Selling house with old conservatory

Options
We are completing the sellers paperwork for my late MIL’s property.  It has an old conservatory out the back that was build mid 80’s.

Form TA6 asks about ‘does the property have a conservatory and if so provide building regs, planning permission or was it under permitted development’

we have no idea as it was 40 years ago.  Do we just say it was under permitted development?  

Thanks all in advance 

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You respond ' not known'.  The same answer will probably apply to a few of the other questions too.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • flo22
    flo22 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would call the planning office, they can search to see if it did have planning application. 
    30+ years working in banking
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you don't know the answer to any question, answer "Don't know" and possibly add "MILs property and I never lived there."
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    By now, it is surely utterly irrelevant? So, 'Not known', as said above.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March at 7:40PM
    Options
    flo22 said:
    I would call the planning office, they can search to see if it did have planning application. 
    It doesn't need one after 4 years! 

Building regulations and planning are different. 

Conservatories are exempt from the building regulations.  No certificate needed if they are separated from the house by a door and less than 30 square metres (IIRC!)

re: planning - they also usually fall under permitted development in the first place, but certainly become lawful after 4 years. 

Knowing how woefully uneducated some solicitors are on these things, I'd be writing something similar to what I've just written!   
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,738 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all.  'not known' will be my answer along with a note saying it was built approx 40 years ago.  
    Thanks again
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    flo22 said:
    Contacting the local planning office and asking about specific alterations would alert them to the changes. This would void any indemnity insurance that a solicitor might suggest. So don't do this.
    A 40 year old conservatory is likely to close to its end of life, so ripe for replacement.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback