Stuck abroad with no mot or Raod Tax

Options
DZ77
DZ77 Posts: 35 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello everyone,

Might be something already discussed.

I am currently abroad and need to drive back home in the UK my car has run out of MOT and Tax I was meaning to put number plates of the place where I am then things have taken a turn and having to move back.

Does anybody know if this will be noticed at port from customs, bear in mind I have already pre-booked an MOT at my local garage for the day I return.

I am stressing reading so many different things online and would like some opinions if anybody could help.

Thanks everyone 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You think that Dover have a list of cars with no MOT and tax?

Of course not. In the event you are asked about it you are on the way to the pre-booked test, there is no issue here. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    la531983 said:
    There are police ANPR cameras at all major ports.
    la531983 said:
    Of course not. In the event you are asked about it you are on the way to the pre-booked test, there is no issue here. 
    I am pretty sure that the exemption for having a pre-booked test does not cover driving internationally. 
  • DZ77
    Options
    la531983 said:
    la531983 said:
    I am pretty sure that the exemption for having a pre-booked test does not cover driving internationally. 
    Would they care about other countries though I was under the impression they can only enforce UK law.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    DZ77 said:
    la531983 said:
    la531983 said:
    Would they care about other countries though I was under the impression they can only enforce UK law.
    Exactly, you have entered the country and you are on the way to a pre booked test.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 March at 10:53AM
    Options
    MattMattMattUK said:
    la531983 said:
    It's the only real option though, and whilst a bit iffy I think you'd be ok as long as you passed the attitude test.

The other option is to have the car recovered to the MOT garage on a flatbed or trailer, but that's probably excessive unless you can find someone that's already going that way with space.

Does it have a local equivalent test to at least show the car is roadworthy?
  • DZ77
    Options
    la531983 said:
    DZ77 said:
    la531983 said:
    la531983 said:
    Exactly, you have entered the country and you are on the way to a pre booked test.
    How do the ANPR cameras work do they alert police of missing mot and tax or would they send a fine at home.
  • DZ77
    Options
    Herzlos said:
    MattMattMattUK said:
    la531983 said:
    It's the only real option though, and whilst a bit iffy I think you'd be ok as long as you passed the attitude test.

The other option is to have the car recovered to the MOT garage on a flatbed or trailer, but that's probably excessive unless you can find someone that's already going that way with space.

Does it have a local equivalent test to at least show the car is roadworthy?
    I can't afford it to be trailered unfortunately as it would cost a fortune.

Car has been kept pristine and I could get a garage to do a formal check on it o think they would be able to do this obviously it won't be a British MOT
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    la531983 said:
    The only part of the "international" journey which is subject to UK law is between Dover (or wherever) and the MOT place. So no problem there.

Whether it is legal for the OP to be driving an un-taxed car in whichever other countries involved is a different matter.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DZ77 said:
    la531983 said:
    DZ77 said:
    la531983 said:
    la531983 said:
    How do the ANPR cameras work do they alert police of missing mot and tax or would they send a fine at home.
    From the TV shows, police ANPR will alert them if they pass someone, else gantry camera might ping an alert around. With VED I know the DVLA goes around clamping them, I doubt it's just random vehicles going around on the off chance, more likely something pinged them in the area and they trace the car to the RK
  • DZ77
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    DZ77 said:
    la531983 said:
    DZ77 said:
    la531983 said:
    la531983 said:
    From the TV shows, police ANPR will alert them if they pass someone, else gantry camera might ping an alert around. With VED I know the DVLA goes around clamping them, I doubt it's just random vehicles going around on the off chance, more likely something pinged them in the area and they trace the car to the RK
    Thanks,

I would then have a pre booked Mot so even on that case I should be OK ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback