RWG data issue

Options
Stuart_W
Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
My RWG SIM with the 10GB monthly data (£60/year) is working fine, connected to 4G pretty much constantly. 

My wife's however seems to drop out all the time, is falls back to a 2G signal constantly and ends up after briefly attempting to use EDGE eventually gives up with no data being possible. SMS and calls fine. 

When the phones are next to each other it's very odd. Is this a sign of a knackered handset? I suppose swapping the SIM cards would show if it's handset related. Will check updates etc too.

It's me with the oldest handset (Fairphone 3) and my wife's is just over a year old (and just out of warranty of course).

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Definitely try the sims in the other handsets before anything else. It isn't necessarily an age issue, I often find my newer (latest handmeup) Samsung s20 struggles for a signal while the s9 I got the upgrade before seems fine. Newer technology does not always mean an improvement imo.
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    Well I finally get round to looking in to this and in the last hour I seem to have lost any service on RWG (including 2G) on all three RWG sims in the house from any device! Let's hope it's a local transmitter issue and normal service will be resumed shortly. Even my trusty Nokia from 2010 isn't getting a 2G service and that's usually excellent with poor signal strength. 
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    Well I managed a 4 minute phone call but then got cut off and it's all gone again! Think I'll have a cup of tea and try again later.
  • alanjones60
    alanjones60 Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 March at 1:55PM
    Options
    Stuart_W said:
    Well I finally get round to looking in to this and in the last hour I seem to have lost any service on RWG (including 2G) on all three RWG sims in the house from any device! Let's hope it's a local transmitter issue and normal service will be resumed shortly. Even my trusty Nokia from 2010 isn't getting a 2G service and that's usually excellent with poor signal strength. 
    Im in the midlands,and my rwg sim was emergency calls only for a hour,now its back but dropped to band 4,  when its usually band 3 or 7
    Edit 
    Back to band 7  5g now
  • daydotz
    daydotz Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had problems with mine on the south coast
  • Stuart_W
    Options
    Ummm... been a bit intermittent all day so I don't really want to make any judgements on the handset until this wobble is definitely over. Pretty sure EE SIMs or even other MVNOs on EE have not necessarily had the same issues, is such a differentiation of data possible? Would RWG get kicked off certain bands when others on the same signal don't? 
  • alanjones60
    alanjones60 Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Everything gud here now. Working normally.
    RWG dont have band 20 which EE use for volte.
    They have said coming soon for a year now.
    Not holiding my breath.
    Same with wifi calling
  • muffinhead
    muffinhead Posts: 670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 March at 8:22PM
    Options
    A few more people experienced issues earlier with RWG and Talk Home - both seem to linked to Nowtel / Now Mobile:

• Stuart_W
    edited 24 March at 8:57PM
    Options
    Ok, so the weird wobbles on Wednesday aside, I really can't figure this out. My RWG SIM works fine in my wife's mobile (and in mine), hers fails to find 4G when put in my phone or her phone. That rules out the handset being at fault. Certainly points to the network provision on the SIM.

The data bundle is active (and a big credit balance would mean PAYG data would get used even if the bundle was some how not active). The 669 text confirms the data bundle, and some data (via edge) has been used so data settings must be correct, which I have double checked anyway.

Am I missing something obvious?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure