Car insurance for an unfit person

Hi my brother has been declared
medically unfit to drive. But he says i
can borrow his car. I am fully comp and have 'drive other cars' on my policy.

Is it ok to drive his car?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Does he have insurance on the car still? Is it SORNed?

You need to read the terms of your policy, DoC rules vary a fair amount between insurers.

Obviously remember if you do drive it you are only covered Third Party Only so no cover for damage to your car and no help from your insurer if you are in a non-fault accident. 
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Driving other cars is useful for very limited occasional use. If he's medically unfit, it could take quite a while to get his licence back so it's probably well worth being added to his his policy as a named driver but making it clear you are actually the main driver of the vehicle.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    It would appear that some policies require the 'drive other cars' vehicle still to be insured by the owner, but not all.  I have looked carefully at my policy documents and can't find anything about that car having to be insured.  To be honest I don't understand why the owner would have to insure it if my policy covers me to drive it (third party cover).
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    TELLIT01 said:
    It would appear that some policies require the 'drive other cars' vehicle still to be insured by the owner, but not all.  I have looked carefully at my policy documents and can't find anything about that car having to be insured.  To be honest I don't understand why the owner would have to insure it if my policy covers me to drive it (third party cover).
    There is a legal requirement for all vehicles that aren't SORNed to have insurance. As such there is a question of how you are driving a car that doesn't have other insurance on it? Some may think that if the owner is comfortable breaking the law (either allowing a SORNed vehicle to be driven or not holding insurance) what other things are they doing wrong with the car? Do the brakes work? Are the tyres bald?

Secondly, if there is another policy on the car itself then there is a clear RTA insurer if you are drunk driving or such. It may also be trying to avoiding any outside risks that it could somehow be caught as the insurer of the vehicle in other scenarios than you actively driving it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback