traveling to Europe Cash /Credit Card or Travel card

Options
I'm travelling to Portugal - my first trip in 4 years and first since Brexit. In the past I have taken some cash and used credit cards - I'm a bit out of touch on what's the best option now - My friend today said she had a Hays Travel Card which she loads up with Euros before travelling and can also load up while she is away via an app. I've seen a post office version on line as well - what is peoples experience of using these, what are the exchange rates like and are there additional charges?. 

Comments

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March at 10:43PM
    Options
    Ideally open a Starling or Chase debit card account and use that for both cash withdrawals and every day spending. Both use the best rates of exchange and don't charge extra for atm withdrawals. Just be aware that most overseas banks impose an atm charge that you can't avoid.

You can carry on using these accounts in the UK as well as they are based in GBP and use the exchange rate at the time you are using the card. 

Here's a link to the MSE guide

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/destinations/

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a starling card and the Halifax clarity credit card as a back up. 
    And I always take some cash just in case. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    anniebea said:
    My friend today said she had a Hays Travel Card which she loads up with Euros before travelling and can also load up while she is away via an app. I've seen a post office version on line as well -
    Best to forget about such cards from travel agents, supermarkets and Post Office that you 'load' with foreign currency in advance, they involve adverse exchange rates and various fees, including the cost of converting unused currency back to GBP. Much simpler and probably cheaper overall to use your regular debit card, or ideally the fee-free solutions mentioned above which are abundant these days and so easy to open and use.
    Always select to pay in euros when a payment terminal offers choice of that or GBP, and decline conversion offered by ATMs. This allows your card to convert, avoiding adverse rates offered by merchants and their bank.

Evolution, not revolution
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 March at 10:38AM
    Options
    Where in Portugal ?
    If there is a Santander branch locally their basic (Everyday Current Account) debit card is fee free to withdraw currency.
    Chase and Starling are good for settling bills at hotels and restaurants etc.- no fees.
    They are also fee free at holes in the wall - however the ATM owner bank will generally impose a fee - so you have to be aware of that.
    Some credit cards likewise - for example Halifax Clarity or Virgin Money Travel credit card.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    In Portugal the Multibanco ATMs are everywhere and fee free, at least they were last time I was there (last year). 
    As above get a fee free card, and avoid accepting any currency conversion offered at ATMs or when you pay for stuff. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback