No Service due to a mast issue

Options
LMaritza
LMaritza Posts: 3 Newbie
First Anniversary
My mobile is practically useless unless I am on WiFi. I have no signal to make calls or send/receive texts and no data. O2 tell me there is a mast issue and it should be fixed by the end of April 2024 (approximately 6 weeks away).
I am mid contract. What are my rights, please? 

Comments

• simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you ask O2 nicely, a pro-rata rebate of your line rental for the duration of the outage is probably the best outcome.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 March at 7:42PM
    Options
    LMaritza said:
    My mobile is practically useless unless I am on WiFi. I have no signal to make calls or send/receive texts and no data. O2 tell me there is a mast issue and it should be fixed by the end of April 2024 (approximately 6 weeks away).
    I am mid contract. What are my rights, please? 
    By definition, phones are mobile so unless you can prove there's no coverage wherever you go (bearing in mind that O2can see when the phone is connected) then the best you can hope for is a bill credit for a month or so. No network guarantees coverage and the physically can't because much is out of their hands. For example if the mast is on someone else's land then they need permission to access. 

I know it's a pain but your only other choice is to prove that O2 is not carrying out there service with proper skill, care and diligence then you could make a case to end your contract. But as masts are often shared you might be no better off elsewhere. 

Personally, I would be practical and pragmatic Find out if signal is okay on another network and then buy a cheap SIM for the duration. Ask O2 to credit your account with the cost £1 for the SIM and £10 to £20 for a bundle. You could even divert calls to the temporary number. 
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are lucky wifi calling works for you with O2.  It never did for me and so when I lost the native mobile signal at home my phone became useless.  In my case changing network was the only solution and because of the lack of service and failure to get wifi calling working, O2 released me from the contract with no charge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback