Water rates

Options
Vaughfitz
Vaughfitz Posts: 48 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 13 March at 4:31PM in Water bills
I am really unsatisfied with my current water bill, when I moved into my 2 Bed Terrace in 2018 my water bill was £149.97 increased the next year by a whopping £111.89 then the next year increased by £9.01 the next year £8.59 the year after £33.15 the next year £39.51 and for this year it is increased by £58.74 making the water bill for the year 24/2025  £411.98 there is no set pattern of the rises year by year
I have been in touch they can install a water meter they said, and that my Zone is 02 .I live alone and do not have anyone else here using gallons of water   I am so disgusted,  so my neighbour next door in a four bedroom house with a drive is in the same zone and my house has two bedrooms with street parking  no drive/garage.  How can they justify the increase in 5 years of £262.01 can anybody offer any explanation? I would be scared to have a water meter just incase it makes the bill even higher

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They don't have to justify it but they will give a breakdown on the bill.

If you are single and do not waste water its a no brainer to have a water meter, that's your only possible way of reducing your bill.   I am also a single householder and although it varies by region and individual use for reference I pay £12 per month.  
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March at 4:43PM
    Options
    One of the first things I did when I moved into my house was pay £70 (as you had to in those days) to have a water meter fitted. As a single person in a  3 bed house I saved hundreds across the years.

Your neighbour, if his council tax banding is higher than yours, and most likely it is as his house is bigger, WILL be paying more than you if he is also assessed on rateable value. He could actually be paying for what he uses on a meter though. Your 'zone' is irrelevant.

Martin's rule of thumb is that if you have more bedrooms than people in your property, you are likely to save money by having a meter, although of course it's not guaranteed as none of us know how much water you use.

I don't really understand why people GET the idea that the metered gas and electric means you pay for what you use, but are happy to shell out for unmetered water based on the size of your home and it's supposed value in the early 1980s.

You have two choices really, moan and pay, or swap to a meter and hope it comes out cheaper.

ETA we're 2 of us now and our water bill is £31 a month.

Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Vaughfitz said:
    I am really unsatisfied with my current water bill, when I moved into my 2 Bed Terrace in 2018 my water bill was £149.97 increased the next year by a whopping £111.89 then the next year increased by £9.01 the next year £8.59 the year after £33.15 the next year £39.51 and for this year it is increased by £58.74 making the water bill for the year 24/2025  £411.98 there is no set pattern of the rises year by year
    I have been in touch they can install a water meter they said, and that my Zone is 02 .I live alone and do not have anyone else here using gallons of water   I am so disgusted,  so my neighbour next door in a four bedroom house with a drive is in the same zone and my house has two bedrooms with street parking  no drive/garage.  How can they justify the increase in 5 years of £262.01 can anybody offer any explanation? I would be scared to have a water meter just incase it makes the bill even higher
    Unless you have a massive leak it would almost certainly be lower.

You can calculate your estimated bill on a meter using the link below. 

https://www.ccw.org.uk/save-money-and-water/water-meter-calculator/
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Paying £411 a year for water on you own is insanity.  Two of us here paid £50 less on a meter this year.

Get a meter. Now.
  • Vaughfitz
    Vaughfitz Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vaughfitz said:
    Unless you have a massive leak it would almost certainly be lower.

You can calculate your estimated bill on a meter using the link below. 

https://www.ccw.org.uk/save-money-and-water/water-meter-calculator/
    Thank you so much for the link, yes, i think I should bet a water meter

• pseudodox
    pseudodox Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Get a meter & as long as you are reasonably careful (ie no running tap whilst cleaning teeth) you will make a huge saving.  I am a single household with current water cost around £180 per year.  I am careful but not obsessed - the garden gets watered, the pond gets an occasional top up, I wash up in the sink.  But I recycle waste water as much as possible.  Wash up water cleans my gardening hands, wipes down kitchen surfaces etc,  gets chucked into toilet or out on paving to brush down.  A bucket in the shower can catch a surprising amount to flush the loo.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback