EV Road Tax - renew in March

Options
If you have an EV & the V5 is in your own name you should renew the tax in March 2024 or 2025. This will mean you get zero duty right up to 03/26 rather than paying £180 VED from whenever your tax expires after 03/25.

Go onto the DVLA site as usual & tick the box that to say you haven't got the reminder. It'll ask you for the reg number & the 11 digit code from the V5. Accept the warning that the vehicle is already taxed & that you might be paying twice - 2x nothing is still nothing!

I did mine this morning so it'll renew 03/25 before the zero band for ZEVs finishes.
4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well known way to avoid VED for longer, but is it Ethical?
    Time will tell as DVLA might just catch on & revert back to the original date
    Life in the slow lane
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's nothing 'ethical' about the way the treasury milks motorists so a little tit-for-tat is entirely fair.
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose that could be avoided by putting the car on SORN and then re-taxing after a couple of days.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    Ethics????

What on the Green and Ethical board?
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,236 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose that could be avoided by putting the car on SORN and then re-taxing after a couple of days.
    I was planning on declaring SORN for two days next week but have just followed 1961Nick's advice instead.  There is of course still an option to use the SORN route or even transfer ownership to OH & back again in March next year should the DVLA start 'protecting' their income stream.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,077 Forumite
    Options
    EricMears said:
    I was planning on declaring SORN for two days next week but have just followed 1961Nick's advice instead.  There is of course still an option to use the SORN route or even transfer ownership to OH & back again in March next year should the DVLA start 'protecting' their income stream.
    Once you've done it it's very unlikely the DVLA could undo it.

I guess they could stop it happening in the future by preventing a new licence being issued when the vehicle is already taxed... basically no overlapping. You could always get round it with a SORN but that starts to be more effort than it's worth. You could also transfer the vehicle to a partner & back again but that would add another 2 keepers to the vehicle & reduce it's value.
  • EricMears
    Options
    It might be that the stampede to bring renewal dates into March has broken the gov.uk website ?

Since 'renewing' car tax last night,  I've been unable to open the site to check tax & MOT status.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just done my car, so the website seems OK now :)
  • EricMears
    Options
    Just done my car, so the website seems OK now :)
    Indeed yes.   Just checked the website https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk   again and it's now telling me Tax due: 1 March 2025.

I was beginning to think that either my IP address had been blacklisted or that thousands of BEV owners had swamped the site  :* 
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    MSE forum is so popular :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business