£30,000 credit card debt - living abroad - DRO

Options
Good evening chaps,

Background:

MBNA Credit Card - £15,000 (minimum payment each month £450)

Tesco Credit Card - £6000 (min pm £250)

Halifax Clarity - £7000 (min pm £250)

Two years ago I had to move to Czech Republic as my wife was pregnant and she couldn’t get visa to UK.

So far I have been making minimum payments totalling at £1000 a month but soon will run out of money.

I wanted to ask how would DRO or Bankruptcy look like when applying for it from outside of UK.

I meet the residency criteria as it hasn’t been three years since I was a UK resident. However, I’m not how would I provide proof of current employment and spendings/outgoings considering that I now live in Czech Republic and take home £1400 from my ft job.

Would official receiver want my Czech bank accounts and payslips, they would need translating etc. Or could I just go to UK for some time and not work, say that I’m unemployed etc.

I’m considering DRO or bankruptcy. I do not ever intend to go back to live in the UK. However, my parents live and own the property which is registered on my credit cards. Hence I cannot just forget this debt as I cannot stand a thought of bailiffs harassing them and my parents having to prove that they own items in their own home.

For now I will apply for token payments since I cannot make minimum payments anymore (have been doing so for past two years). However, I need w final solution to resolve this nightmare.

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 12 March at 9:39PM
    Options
    You could possibly do a DRO through Money Wellness.

However, what do you think will happen if you stop paying? These will just wither on the vine. Statute barred after 6 years.

Are you planning to return to the UK?
  • pedrosa666
    pedrosa666 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fatbelly said:

However, what do you think will happen if you stop paying?

No I will not come back.

When I stop paying accounts will defaults, my parents will start getting letters. Then bailiffs will turn up… My parents always keep the doors open so they will just walk in no problem. 

I just cannot let that happen.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No bailiffs will not turn up at your parents, so forget that.

I presume your creditors have your parents address? Not the best idea but if push comes to shove give your creditors your  Czech address.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • pedrosa666
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No bailiffs will not turn up at your parents, so forget that.

I presume your creditors have your parents address? Not the best idea but if push comes to shove give your creditors your  Czech address.
    Yes my cards are registered at my last UK address which is my parents house. Also, my driving license is registered to that address and my £800 car which my dad uses (registered in my name).
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You must have realized by giving your parents address you were putting them in a position where they would at least keep receiving letters addressed to you from your creditors.

I don't know the legalities of having your UK driving license registered there. Do you have a Czech driving license?
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • steven141
    steven141 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It may be worth contacting the credit card companies individually and explaining the situation, they may offer some sort of payment plan which is lower than what you are paying. 

I would also give them your new address to avoid them contacting your parents, however some banks don’t allow you to hold accounts outside the UK but as you are due them money, they may accept to close all accounts for further use and allow you to pay off what you are due but by bit.

The best bet is to speak to them as they will want to cooperate with you otherwise they will know that you could just stop paying and since you are no longer a resident of the UK, they can’t do a thing about it so that fact that you are trying to pay it back would surely be seen as a good thing by them. 
  • pedrosa666
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    steven141 said:
    It may be worth contacting the credit card companies individually and explaining the situation, they may offer some sort of payment plan which is lower than what you are paying. 

I would also give them your new address to avoid them contacting your parents, however some banks don’t allow you to hold accounts outside the UK but as you are due them money, they may accept to close all accounts for further use and allow you to pay off what you are due but by bit.

The best bet is to speak to them as they will want to cooperate with you otherwise they will know that you could just stop paying and since you are no longer a resident of the UK, they can’t do a thing about it so that fact that you are trying to pay it back would surely be seen as a good thing by them. 

Thank you 🙏

Would emailing CEOs be my best bet?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly said:

No I will not come back.

When I stop paying accounts will defaults, my parents will start getting letters. Then bailiffs will turn up… My parents always keep the doors open so they will just walk in no problem. 

Not going to happen, creditors don`t throw away money engaging bailiffs, worst that will likely happen is your UK credit file may get a few stagnant CCJ`s sat on it, a few debt collection letters will be sent, calls etc.

Why not pre-empt this by simply updating your address with each lender, they won`t be coming after you abroad, you are but an account number to them, your debts will go through the same collection routine as all the rest, there won`t be any brownie points to be earned as its an automated process.

Once they realise you are abroad, they will off load the debts pretty sharpish, trying to re-coup their losses, then whoever buys them will almost certainly soon come to the same conclusion, then it may be rinse and re-peat, or they may just go after easier prey.

No loyalty or morals in debt collection, they will soon forget about you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • pedrosa666
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fatbelly said:

No I will not come back.

Not going to happen, creditors don`t throw away money engaging bailiffs, worst that will likely happen is your UK credit file may get a few stagnant CCJ`s sat on it, a few debt collection letters will be sent, calls etc.

Why not pre-empt this by simply updating your address with each lender, they won`t be coming after you abroad, you are but an account number to them, your debts will go through the same collection routine as all the rest, there won`t be any brownie points to be earned as its an automated process.

Once they realise you are abroad, they will off load the debts pretty sharpish, trying to re-coup their losses, then whoever buys them will almost certainly soon come to the same conclusion, then it may be rinse and re-peat, or they may just go after easier prey.

No loyalty or morals in debt collection, they will soon forget about you.
    Could it be that they find a debt recovery agency in my country and since I have given them my new address this will lead them straight to my door?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Again, extremely unlikely, a debt collector in your country would have to buy the debt, which will never happen.

Consumer debts in the UK do not get sold abroad.

You would have nothing to worry about.

Don`t overthink things, UK debts tend to stay UK debts.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback