Signing out after a shift

Options
So appreciate this may come across petty but would appreciate some advice please.

So I work on the railway nights 12hr shifts so at the end of our shift we sign out and go home our finish time is 6:30am but we are give 15 minutes wash up time so can finish at 6:15am. However most nights we are done by 6:05-6:10 and the supervisors Come into the mess room and tell us we can leave.

last night on a rare busy night we actually finished at 6:15am signed out and went home no supervisors were there so went home as it was 6:15am my finish time.

on our way home me and another guy i give a lift received a message asking what time we left explained 6:15 basically said we were lying we then said we’ll check cctv and car barrier pass it will state time we left.

have come into work tonight saying that what we did last night was a health and safety risk and you can’t leave until the supervisors say I asked what happens if that’s 10 minutes past my finished time to which they replied tough you have to wait until they say you can go regardless of how long that is past my contracted hours is this possible because I’m 45 I’ve had afew jobs over the years never known this I’ll be receiving a letter of advice with regard to this incident and that’s it.

I've been told we have signed a brief on this procedure of working I’ve ask to see a copy because we definitely haven’t and im thinking of contacting HR and asking if this is the right system of working tomorrow.

sorry to go on and on and it is like a minor thing but it’s annoying me.

Comments

• Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Were you not given a briefing and induction at the start of the works?

The site file should have all of the relevant information in it and should be accessible to you.

Did you sign a briefing without reading it? (you wouldn't be the first).
    What does it say on your sign-in sheets?

I haven't worked on the railways for a few years (my business is a sub-contractor for Network Rail) but there's no way we would have been allowed to work without full and regular briefings, a large paper trail and frequent auditing.
    In my experience, if you're not following rules to the letter, you'll soon be off the job.
    Signing out and disappearing without supervisor knowledge would be a complete no-no.
    It's potentially a major H&S risk. Just because it's the end of your contracted hours doesn't mean that you can just go, it doesn't work like that... expect a severe bo**ocking at the minimum.
    I'd encourage you to raise it with HR - watch the poop fly when SHEQ and everyone else gets involved.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you leave at 6:15 but perhaps sign 6:30?
  • magpies79
    magpies79 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    1000% they will be no brief that states I have to wait for my supervisor to tell me to leave at the end of my shift because they isn’t one I’ve been here 8 years so things do change a lot over the years but guess I’m just assuming one thing is certain maybe this is where I’m wrong you can’t be made to stay beyond my time??? 

I’m not safety critical in my role I wasn’t track side or on the depot was in my messroom at the station
    finish time is 6:15 officially and there’s a signing in and out sheet signed out at 6:15 at 6:15 
    In the 8 years I’ve been here we tend to finish early and would never leave under them circumstances
    without person as it’s before time  but maybe wrongly my way of thinking  was at the correct time 6:15 sign out go home I’m confident they will be no brief or paper work that states I have to wait until my supervisor tells me I can leave regardless of what time it is ie 6:40am 
  • magpies79
    edited 11 March at 9:48PM
    Options
    Nope sign 6:15 as well that’s potentially fraud and the leaving a note isn’t me signing out at 6:15 not a minute earlier me telling them I’ve finished and left site this form is also used for if there’s a fire and they need to know who’s on site and not 
    sorry just to add if we are given permission to leave early and the supervisor say we can go I always put the time it currently is not 6:15
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you really driving home after a 12 hour night shift daily?
    The railway shift limit is 12 hour *Door-to-door* now, i.e. includes travel time, and for good reason. There was a patch of about 5 years when more staff were killed and injured on the roads than on the lineside, typically RTAs following a night shift.

You have to sort this thing out about leaving time and clearing it with a supervisor because the Railway is a small world and you don't need an adverse reputation from a trivial occurrence, but make sure you and others are safe both on site and getting home.
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    magpies79 said:
    1000% they will be no brief that states I have to wait for my supervisor to tell me to leave at the end of my shift because they isn’t one I’ve been here 8 years so things do change a lot over the years but guess I’m just assuming one thing is certain maybe this is where I’m wrong you can’t be made to stay beyond my time??? 

I’m not safety critical in my role I wasn’t track side or on the depot was in my messroom at the station
    finish time is 6:15 officially and there’s a signing in and out sheet signed out at 6:15 at 6:15 
    In the 8 years I’ve been here we tend to finish early and would never leave under them circumstances
    without person as it’s before time  but maybe wrongly my way of thinking  was at the correct time 6:15 sign out go home I’m confident they will be no brief or paper work that states I have to wait until my supervisor tells me I can leave regardless of what time it is ie 6:40am 
    Your employment contract will almost certainly have a clause that requires you to work extra hours if the business requires it.

You're allowed to knock off early on the agreement that occasionally you will have to work late or start early.
    After eight years, you must of had this at least a handful of times? If not, you've had a very cushy time of it!

• magpies79
    Options
    YBR said:
    The railway shift limit is 12 hour *Door-to-door* now, i.e. includes travel time, and for good reason. There was a patch of about 5 years when more staff were killed and injured on the roads than on the lineside, typically RTAs following a night shift.

You have to sort this thing out about leaving time and clearing it with a supervisor because the Railway is a small world and you don't need an adverse reputation from a trivial occurrence, but make sure you and others are safe both on site and getting home.
    isnt it my understanding that’s only apples to safety crit roles my shift is 4 on 4 off and believe we only require 10hrs away from work but I’ll have to double check 
  • magpies79
    Options
    magpies79 said:

Your employment contract will almost certainly have a clause that requires you to work extra hours if the business requires it.

You're allowed to knock off early on the agreement that occasionally you will have to work late or start early.
    After eight years, you must of had this at least a handful of times? If not, you've had a very cushy time of it!

Over 8 years I’ve always stayed back if required don’t mind that at all like you said can’t have it both ways can you my problem is that wasn’t the problem we was done to time and hadn’t been ask to stay back so time was up so I’ve just had a fact finding and low and behold he’s struggling to find any brief that states what he’s asking said he wanted to draw a line under it and leave it 
  • magpies79
    Options
    YBR said:

And couldn’t agree more I’ve been on the railway for 18 years so understand what your saying 
    And couldn’t agree more I’ve been on the railway for 18 years so understand what your saying 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback