Ryanair - compensation for car hire late pick up

Options
I recently took a flight from east midlands to Málaga with Ryanair. We boarded the plane and then were told that we couldn't take off until some maintenance paperwork had been signed off. This took 2 hours and 15 mins to sort and our flight landed 115 minutes late. But, this meant that I was picking up my hire car after office hours so was charged a late pick up fee. Ryanair claim I am entitled to nothing from them, but surely as I have incurred further cost because of their incompetence they should reimburse me?it's only €40 euros but it's the principle.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think you can get anything from Ryanair. You booked too early pick up sadly.. as plane can land really anytime. If it lands 3h later due to Ryanair fault then it's a different story.

Have you read T&C of your travel insurance? Could be worth trying them.

It's annoying but the rule has to be placed somewhere. Let's say your flight was supposed to land 21:45, and car hire company charges late pick up fee after 10pm, so everyone would book it for 21:59 to avoid the fee.

I've heard of cases where rental company closed their office, or didn't release the car as T&C said that car has to be picked up within 2h otherwise treated as no show :) so 40e isn't that bad in the end!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Berty180 said:
    we couldn't take off until some maintenance paperwork had been signed off

[...]

I have incurred further cost because of their incompetence
    That's quite a leap!  What evidence do you have that there was any incompetence involved?

Not that it ultimately matters, as the flight delay regulations don't hold the airline liable for such consequential losses regardless of the cause, or were you thinking of some other legislation to cite?
  • Berty180
    Berty180 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the responses..
    newbie_john flight was due to land at 21.15 and with no baggage to collect ,getting to the car office before it's closure time of 2300 was totally feasible. I will speak to the travel insurance. I asked Ryanair to send me their terms and conditions where it says they don't have any fault in this, funnily enough they couldn't!
    Eskbanker- it's quite a leap because that's have had maintenance done on the aircraft that needs signing off and somewhere along the line someone's incompetence has meant it hasn't happened. I don't have any legislation to sight, but wondered if anyone else has had any luck with this scenario. We were sat on the plane waiting for over 2 hours, there was even talk from the airport stewards stood behind our seats that if it wasnt sorted with 3 hours the flight would be cancelled and we would be schedules for 7am the next day.

Thanks again, it's just frustrating that something that was totally avoidable, lead to me (and others at the car pick up desks) being out of pocket and they have no responsibility towards it
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Berty180 said:
    it's quite a leap because that's have had maintenance done on the aircraft that needs signing off and somewhere along the line someone's incompetence has meant it hasn't happened. 
    How do you know it was incompetance ?  
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Berty180 said:
    I asked Ryanair to send me their terms and conditions where it says they don't have any fault in this, funnily enough they couldn't!
    That's not how it works - if you're seeking to hold a company liable for consequential losses, the onus is on you to demonstrate that they are liable rather than them having to prove that they're not!
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would be inclined to accept the charge and be pleased that the car hire company waited for you. The EU has, in effect, decided that airlines have 3 hours leeway as far as flight times are concerned.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback