Cancelled TV License

Options
I have recently cancelled my TV license. Whilst I had the TV license, I recorded some programmes - am I legally allowed to watch them now that I no longer have a license?

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What do you think will happen if you do watch them?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whether it is legal or not no one would know if you watched them.

I would say it would be fine as you recorded them whilst you had the license.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    From a TV Licence perspective, yes - once they have been recorded you can then watch them anywhere at any time with or without a TV Licence.
  • Tony70
    Tony70 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the various replies, which clarify my query.
    Just a note: it's not a question of what will happen if I watch them. What would happen if they did a check and found my recording device with recorded programmes, connected to my TV? I wanted to know if saying that I recorded when I had a licence would likely be enough and the answer seems to be yes. Thanks again!

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tony70 said:
    Just a note: it's not a question of what will happen if I watch them. What would happen if they did a check and found my recording device with recorded programmes, connected to my TV? I wanted to know if saying that I recorded when I had a licence would likely be enough and the answer seems to be yes. Thanks again!

They have no right to enter your property to check your tv equipment so it's not an issue. 
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tony70 said:

There's a huge amount of TV Licensing lore (not much of it is actual law).   

The MSE article is quite good (certainly well above the general standard of TVL info in the media).   I'd suggest having a read as it may well answer queries you might have in the future.

As above, they have no right to inspect equipment on their routine visits, in fact you do not have speak with them at all.  I wouldn't get into any discussion about your recordings as they will be inclined not to believe you.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure