Lebara?

Options
Dixielnd
Dixielnd Posts: 1 Newbie

Hi, 
Do mobile companies recycle numbers? I've been with Lebara a few times, and each time I get a new payg SIM card, I've had texts for other people, once for a woman from a company who had finished appraising the gold she had sent in. 

Another time, I tried to sign up online using my number on a new SIM and was told this number had been used just too many times.
I also tried to sign up to social media, and right away it was suspended due to suspicious activity.   Has anyone else had this issue

I'm right in thinking that when you're online, it's the SIM card, not the phone it goes against?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, the sim card has the mobile number. The phone isn't a factor.
    The numbers are reused, there's not an infinite amount of them.
    Normally, a number is left for at least 6 months before being reissued, but these days companies just keep posting to any number they have listed, which why you get other people's spam!

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, phone numbers are recycled after a user's service expires. Lebara with their long history of providing PAYG service, often used only on a temporary basis, probably has a high likelihood that the number associated with a new SIM has been reused many times, perhaps with a shorter than the six month downtime.
    I think you'd have more chance of a 'fresh' or less recently used number from one of the main networks or a newer MVNO, which could then be ported over to your Lebara account.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • LeesArt
    LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Dixielnd said:

Hi, 
    Do mobile companies recycle numbers? I've been with Lebara a few times, and each time I get a new payg SIM card, I've had texts for other people, once for a woman from a company who had finished appraising the gold she had sent in. 

Another time, I tried to sign up online using my number on a new SIM and was told this number had been used just too many times.
    I also tried to sign up to social media, and right away it was suspended due to suspicious activity.   Has anyone else had this issue

I'm right in thinking that when you're online, it's the SIM card, not the phone it goes against?

Go to Tesco

Buy a PAYG and choose one with a good number, it costs £1

Then move the number to Lebara
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family