Car insurance renewal between moving house

Options
Any advice on the this conundrum please!

Our car insurance is due for renewal on 1st April, we move out of our house on 28th March, but don't get entry into new house until mid April. We will be house surfing with friends but effectively 'of no fixed abode' for a couple of weeks!
What are my options regarding my car insurance renewal and being between homes?

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally I'd give your current address and update when you move into your new home. Hopefully you won't need to use your insurance in between times but what are you doing about redirecting post? 🤔
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,061 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I'd be tempted to take maman's approach it could still invalidate your policy if something happened later in the year.  

Where are you going to be in between time in the moves?  To be correct you need to declare where your car will be parked as of 1st April until you move to somewhere else.  And then update it and swallow the admin charge plus any other charges associated with the change of address.  

You might ask the insurer and take careful notes about what they say including date, time of call and who you talk to.  

Must admit it now occurs to me that when we moved 6 years back we were staying in a hotel for a week.  And treating it like a holiday so maybe we were ok (or not but got away with it)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was thinking @Brie that the time OP was away from a regular home did, like in your example, equate to a holiday. Insurers don't expect that a car would be, say, on a driveway throughout the policy term. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its not just about declaring where you car is every night but the fact you are to declare where your home address is and the issue the OP has is that they won't have one. 

Personally I would quote based on the new address but before buying from anyone contact them and explain the circumstances and confirm with them that they are comfortable with the discrepancy for the first week or two.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Its not just about declaring where you car is every night but the fact you are to declare where your home address is and the issue the OP has is that they won't have one. 

Personally I would quote based on the new address but before buying from anyone contact them and explain the circumstances and confirm with them that they are comfortable with the discrepancy for the first week or two.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback