Selling mobile phone on eBay - any tips, please?

Options
I’ve just bought a new phone, and I’m thinking of selling my old one on eBay. Any suggestions on avoiding getting defrauded please?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

• GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive avoided selling phones and iPads on eBay - I use trade in services. Have always had good experiences with Music Magpie for instance. You may not get as much, but you avoid the hassle as well as the buyers who want to return because of a tiny scratch that was already mentioned in the auction etc - I'd rather save the hassle from som 'feeling entitled' buyers - of which there seem to be more and more on eBay.

If you still wish to go ahead, list with as much detail as possible. 
    Send to the eBay presented buyer address only using a trackable and insured method. 
    Keep your postage receipt and track the item until delivered.
    Once delivered, hope for the best!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try selling it locally on FB Marketplace with cash on collection first as there seem to be many horror stories about phone sales with postage.
    And make sure it is securely wiped and note serial numbers etc.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, both of you.

I have the IMEI number, and I was thinking of putting it in the listing, so buyers can check it is genuine. It also means they'll think twice about returning a different phone!  Any downsides with that?

Fortunately, the phone is only worth about £50, so there's a limited downside risk.

It's about 3/4 years old, and it's had modest use. It polishes up nicely, and looks almost immaculate. There's a 2mm long scratch on the screen, which I can spot if I look carefully, but I never noticed it in normal usage. I guess I should mention that?

I was thinking of offering it for less than it is worth, in the hope of getting less hassle, but it may not work like that? 

Music Magpie don't seem to want it - it's a Motorola.

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Miser1964
    Miser1964 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 March at 4:12PM
    Options
    Ensure you state if it's locked to unlocked
    Deregister it from Google etc. as a trusted device
    Make sure it's fully updated and reset
    Give the IMEI number with a few numbers replaced by **** to put off scammers returning a broken phone
    Block anyone who asks stupid questions
    Send by a tracked delivery service
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,947 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    this reminds me and prompted me to check MM for a price. Xiaomi Redmi9 64GB. brand new sealed. £9.00 offered by MM.
    ebay selling history looks pretty decent but with risk.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 11 March at 10:33AM
    Options
    Do you have a local CeX or similar? CeX also buy online like MM. 
    Too many pitfalls selling phones on eBay IMO.
    To me it's worth getting a bit less with one of the above because selling to a company has much less potential trouble compared to selling to an individual buyer.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    +1 for checking CEX prices if you have one near you.  I have sold a few phones there because I cannot be bothered with ebay
    phone buyers.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    Thanks, both of you.

I have the IMEI number, and I was thinking of putting it in the listing, so buyers can check it is genuine. It also means they'll think twice about returning a different phone!  Any downsides with that?

Fortunately, the phone is only worth about £50, so there's a limited downside risk.

It's about 3/4 years old, and it's had modest use. It polishes up nicely, and looks almost immaculate. There's a 2mm long scratch on the screen, which I can spot if I look carefully, but I never noticed it in normal usage. I guess I should mention that?

I was thinking of offering it for less than it is worth, in the hope of getting less hassle, but it may not work like that? 

Music Magpie don't seem to want it - it's a Motorola.

Ah, if thats the case then go for it! I was thinking it was a sub £1000 iPhone or something. 
    Just point out any issues in the description, and include clear images of all sides. 
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I sell all my old phones on ebay,never had any issues and have always been surprised at how well they do, price wise 
  • Peppa537
    Peppa537 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    +1 for checking CEX prices if you have one near you.  I have sold a few phones there because I cannot be bothered with ebay
    phone buyers.

I've also sold my last few phones to CEX, my town has a shop and I arrange it online using drop and go to the shop. Started using CEX after the last time I tried selling a phone on eBay and I was asked stupid questions, people offering to buy it on the cheap away from eBay etc. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback