PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying parents house.

I live with my elderly mother in her mortgage free house. I have 2 siblings we will share everything equally we have a will in place.

I am new to all this, how would I go about buying this place on a mortgage (hopefully I would be able to do it) after she dies, I am concerned that they will have free cash out of it but I won't and be saddled with a large debt and be worse off out of the 3 of us?

I don't know all the ins and out of this. 
My Signature is MY OWN!!

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You agree the value of the house, you get a mortgage and pay your siblings 2/3rds of the agreed value, you then own the house.

Not sure I understand your concern about them having "free cash"? You'll have a free one-third of a house, to the same value as their cash. If you want cash you can all sell the house and take the cash if you prefer.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You will each have one third share of house sale. If you choose to buy the house your third will probably become the deposit for your mortgage. Other  2 siblings will have cash but no house
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • slenderkitten
    slenderkitten Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 March at 11:57AM
    If the house is worth £150k what would happen with my £50k how do I get that out of the house? 
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • slenderkitten
    bryanb said:
    You will each have one third share of house sale. If you choose to buy the house your third will probably become the deposit for your mortgage. Other  2 siblings will have cash but no house
    That makes no sense, I have to have the deposit first to get the mortgage to enable me to buy the house. How would I get the money out of the house other than putting it on the mortgage to pay myself? 
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • user1977
    If the house is worth £150k what would happen with my £50k how do I get that out of the house? 
    By selling it.
  • slenderkitten
    edited 10 March at 12:07PM
    user1977 said:
    You agree the value of the house, you get a mortgage and pay your siblings 2/3rds of the agreed value, you then own the house.

Not sure I understand your concern about them having "free cash"? You'll have a free one-third of a house, to the same value as their cash. If you want cash you can all sell the house and take the cash if you prefer.
    I live with my mother in the house, I want to own/live in it as I don't want to pay extortionate rent and potentially eat out my savings one sibling had a buy to let house and another they live in they own ad a family the other in council accommodating so he's fine too it's me with the expensive problem whichrver way I can look at it, they have the cash without any debt attached to it, mine from what I see would come out of a mortgage if I choose to try to take out the full value for the three of us to get a share, which will have debt attached to it that's why I say they have FREE MONEY, as I understand it! 
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    the options would be to either sell the property and you would each have £50k
    if you want to keep the property you would take a mortgage of £100k to give siblings £50k each and have £50k equity in property - or take a higher mortgage reducing the amount of equity but giving you some cash - eg 90% LTV would be £15k equity, £135k mortgage - £50k each to siblings and £35k to you
  • user1977
    If you want to be on a level footing with your siblings, why don't you also get your own residence now?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback