Etihad miles

Options
I have 18000 Etihad air miles which are due to expire end of this month. I have not had time to fly long haul these last two years and when I have flown I have flown with other airlines. Is there any trick to use these before they expire? Buy a flexible ticket which can postpone to another date? Can the miles be transferred to another airline?

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are likely to get a better response on a website such as FlyerTallk or HeadForPoints. First I suggest you visit the Etihad website and see what value those miles represent: if they are worth only a few pence then it would not be worth much investigation to save them.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Kirkmain said:
    I have 18000 Etihad air miles which are due to expire end of this month. I have not had time to fly long haul these last two years and when I have flown I have flown with other airlines. Is there any trick to use these before they expire? Buy a flexible ticket which can postpone to another date? Can the miles be transferred to another airline?
    Miles last 18 months from the last time you earned, bought or redeemed miles. The easiest can be just to buy 1,000 additional miles, you could potentially redeem the miles towards a flight but then you are paying the taxes and ability to change the flight may be limited. 

18,000 miles isn't a large amount to be honest, it may be easier to just let them lapse.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can swap Etihad miles for cash in the form of a (virtual?) credit card.  I'm not sure of the rate nowadays but it's better than losing them altogether.

• Kirkmain
    Kirkmain Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought an extra thousand points and the whole balance (~19000) now reset to expire in 18months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback