IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Eurocarparks: wrong registration

Options
Good afternoon, just received as expected a PCN from euro car parks for non payment on a p&d. Nonetheless I’ve paid however due to rainy weather the machine couldn’t recognise full registration of vehicle, however I did enter the first 2 letters of the reg. as I did already process the payment when realised it was just 2 letters I left it and just displayed the receipt in the car.

whats the best way to appeal and win this? I still have original receipt of the machine and the same day I contacted them via mail to let them know however they don’t accept email.

Comments

• icecoffee
    icecoffee Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Photos attached 
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You should appeal and make sure you reference a "minor keying error" - you may succeed, and you may not - did you visit a shop? Ask then to intervene, or the landowner or your MP.
  • icecoffee
    First Post
    Options
    KeithP said:
    One might wonder why in this day and age, with the technology available, the machine didn't refuse to issue a ticket when an obviously invalid registration number was entered.

In fact, going further than that, why does this technology allow a ticket to be issued for a vehicle that hasn't even entered the car park? Their ANPR cameras know which cars have arrived, yet their ticket machine happily issues a ticket for a car that hasn't arrived.
    Perhaps to issue motorists with charges in hope they will settle for it?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    icecoffee said:
    KeithP said:
    One might wonder why in this day and age, with the technology available, the machine didn't refuse to issue a ticket when an obviously invalid registration number was entered.

In fact, going further than that, why does this technology allow a ticket to be issued for a vehicle that hasn't even entered the car park? Their ANPR cameras know which cars have arrived, yet their ticket machine happily issues a ticket for a car that hasn't arrived.
    Perhaps to issue motorists with charges in hope they will settle for it?
    Well of course. We all know it is just to trick the motorist.
    I should've perhaps said they were rhetorical questions.   ;)
  • icecoffee
    First Post
    Options
    Anyone with a good response on how to win the appeal? Thanks
  • Not_A_Hope
    Not_A_Hope Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    It is very unlikely you will win the appeal as that doesn’t earn Euro Car Parks any money. They may offer a £20 minor keying error instead but it will be up to you how much of your time you wish to spend fighting this scam. If it was me I wouldn’t give them a penny and see them lose more money in court.
  • icecoffee
    First Post
    Options
    It is very unlikely you will win the appeal as that doesn’t earn Euro Car Parks any money. They may offer a £20 minor keying error instead but it will be up to you how much of your time you wish to spend fighting this scam. If it was me I wouldn’t give them a penny and see them lose more money in court.
    How are they gonna lose in court? What would you suggest? Leaving it as it is?
  • Not_A_Hope
    Not_A_Hope Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    I would provide evidence that the fee was paid and inform them that the error was that of their P&D machine malfunctioning. As a matter of best practice the keeper should never identify who the driver actually was. They may offer a £20 minor keying error payment. As members of the BPA they should also offer a POPLA code for you to appeal but don’t be too surprised if your appeal is also rejected. These appeal bodies are there to support their trade members not to be fair to the motorists.

If you refuse to pay and they take it all the way to a court claim you can demonstrate that you paid and Euro Car Parks had no legitimate interest in pursuing this claim. There is case law involving similar failure of P&D machines to print full VRNs which would support your case. You can use the recommended template defence which provides many more potential defence points. Now would be the time to collect any supporting evidence e.g. inadequate signage.

My son got caught in a similar 2 digit number plate scam a few years ago involving an IPC registered PPC. They took it all the way to a court claim but didn’t bother to turn up in court. As the defendant he was awarded £95 in costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback