Take ex off deeds or wait until house sold in divorce?

Options
Hi, 

My ex husband has agreed that I can have all the equity from the house sale in our divorce (very little but I am resident parent of our daughter). 

Things have been quite high conflict between us - and I worry that it will come to the house being sold and he’ll change his mind. Can I take him off the deeds now and will this safeguard the settlement? Hope this makes sense

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My understanding is that separating your assets now won't affect the settlement.  So I wouldn't go to the legal expense of getting him taken off the deeds
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you planning to sell in any case?  Then as Mark says why go to the expense!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    Are you planning to sell in any case?  Then as Mark says why go to the expense!
    Plus I think it can take a while to get the land registry updated, and I don't know if you'd be able to complete a sale while that was in progress. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    in a divorce settlement, it doesn't matter who owns the asset, it is all considered jointly own, so there is no advantage to taking him off the deed.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, 

My ex husband has agreed that I can have all the equity from the house sale in our divorce (very little but I am resident parent of our daughter). 

Things have been quite high conflict between us - and I worry that it will come to the house being sold and he’ll change his mind. Can I take him off the deeds now and will this safeguard the settlement? Hope this makes sense
    Simple answer is yes but the two of you would need to transfer ownership to just your name. If you are having to sell as part of the divorce settlement then same thing applies and the two of you would complete any transfer to the buyer. So seems little point in trying to get it changed to a sole name first. 
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • VyEu
    VyEu Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a consent order and d81 agreed and about to be/already submitted to the court?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, 

If your ex comes off the deeds, then you will likely need to take out a mortgage on your own as most mortgages require you to be on the deeds. As there is very little equity, is this feasible? Often in cases like this, both have to remain on the mortgage and deeds until the child is 18, which is not always ideal.

Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, 

Agreed how, in writing?

You should do this as a financial consent order and not separate to that. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback