Risking booking a UK break more than 3 months ahead (before train tickets are released)?

Options
I don't drive and wouldn't want to drive long distances even if I had a car. I am cautious about booking a walking holiday more than 3 months ahead because the train companies don't release the tickets. I could find that there are engineering works/line closures on my chosen dates and so I can't get there. Do others take that risk and just hope that the trains are available?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there’s engineering works don’t they put alternative transporter on as a rule, although that may take longer?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    If there’s engineering works don’t they put alternative transporter on as a rule, although that may take longer?
    Yes but it can extend the journey time too much. I once came close to booking a train to St Ives but the journey was going to last about 11 hours!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about train strikes .Does the walking holiday allow for flexible booking so you can cancel without penalty with so much notice? Would holiday insurance cover you? If nothing else I'd have it planned that the alternative option would be to set off the day before and find an extra overnight stop nearby, if you book and then discover there's an issue.  
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I personally wouldn't book until I see train times.

Reason being, that I know engineering and other work often means that trains are severely affected.

In fact, if I personally didn't wait and assumed trains would be similar, I would have messed up the last trip I had as they ended up with only 1 train that day which I couldn't have caught.

I guess it also depends where you live as some places have lots of train choices, whereas where I am, there is limited choice so I wouldn't risk it myself.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback