Confusing window quotes.

Options
So I need to get 6 largeish windows replaced (4 approx 3ft x 5ft and 2 narrower either side of bay, all bog standard white UPVC).
I thought getting 3 quotes would give me some idea of what to do but they are all completely different!

quote 1- £2,700. Im abit sus though as this guy has no reviews newer then a year and a half....can you even do windows this cheap?
quote 2- £3,900. Decent current reviews on line but no customer service and didnt really explain anything.
quote 3- £5,000. Also decent current reviews, good customer service and explained all about window ratings, features, etc.

I dont mind spending for something that will last but I also dont want to get diddled!!LOL
What do we think?

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are all the quotes for the same standard of windows? Is it windows or just glass? From the sounds of it, Quote 1 is too cheap, quote 2 you didn't like the guy, quote 3 is looking expensive? May be time for quote 4.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That is quite a big bay .
    We had ours fitted about 5 years ago for £3K, but only about two thirds the size of yours. Two of the windows open ( that adds cost) 
    It was a reputable local company so not the cheapest.
    Cost of PVC, glass, labour etc has all shot up since then, so £2700 does look a bit on the low side.
    In fact the main issue with uPVC windows is not usually the quality of the frames, double glazing etc but how well they are installed.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    As per a previous comment, the first question is are you comparing like with like?
    Secondly, I personally always take online reviews with a fairly large pinch of salt.  Sure they can give you a bit of a guide, but really any old Tom, William or Harry can write a good review - and probably will if they are the trader's son, nephew, daughter and wife :)
    Are these local independent companies ?  As a general rule of thumb, these are the ones you want to go for.  If they mess people around and do a bad job, word gets around and they'll soon be out of business.  It's no guarantee, of course, but an honest local company has a lot more to lose than one of the big national chains with their swanky showrooms and expensive advertising.
  • catz4m8z
    catz4m8z Posts: 134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All independent companies. The second guy didnt really explain anything just popped in, took a few photos and emailed a quick quote...so not sure what he was thinking.
    The third guy spent alot of time explaining the a rating, features, costs, etc. TBH he sounded like he might do a better job and I dont mind paying abit more for a reliable job. Its just wether that £5000 is within the average price range.

oh, and I always leave reviews! Had a guy round last week to collect rubbish for £100....he got a full paragraph on Checkatrade!LOL :D
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe the guy who just dropped in, measured and gave you a quote is busy because he is reasonably priced and efficient and the expensive one has plenty of time on his hands because he always quotes high. I believe Everest used to spend the entire evening in people’s homes explaining why their windows were so good, but you paid through the nose for them.
  • catz4m8z
    catz4m8z Posts: 134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just realiesed middle quote is actually an estimate....might not be such a big difference after all! LOL :D
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,089 Forumite
    edited 7 March at 9:28AM
    Options
    Catz, are these all local independents? And are all 5 windows going in a single bay?
    If single bay, that would clearly be a less labour-intensive job than 5 separate windows, so that might help explain the more reasonable quotes.
    It's a toughie, as there could well be rational explanations for the spread of quotes that go beyond quality. For instance, the cheap newbie could be trying to build up his reputation, might work from home, and has lower overheads. The expensive guy could have learned the importance of engaging the customer like a 'National' window co, but the product and skills are no better. The middle guy could be simply running on his earned local reputation, and just doesn't know the importance of inspiring confidence by engaging. You just don't know!
    Do they all have Facebook profiles? Some use this really well, and have a steady, almost weekly, stream of, "Another successful installation - customer is delighted.. " postings with pics, and I'd suggest that it would he hard to falsify this. Also see if customers respond to these posts. 
    Another thing you can do is to ask for recommendations on your local community Fb page. You then need to filter the responses carefully, checking out the profiles of those who replied, see if they have 'friend' or family connections! You will likely soon pick up on 'reliable'...
    Obviously also compare the specs of each - thickness of PVC unit and the glazing, the manufacturer of the profile, and see if they say anything about the quality of the hinges and stuff. Also length of warranties and whether they are insurance backed (so continue even if they go under).

When I last had windows fitted here, I asked the three main local co.s for quotes. All three quotes were near identical, and all had good reputations in the 'hood - I'd have been safe with any. The only thing that separated them was the 'interest' they took in the job, as I asked them all for their thoughts on the style that would best suit our house (the existing windows were stark and ugly). Two were like your 'middle' guy, literally, "Dunno - depends what you like. I can fit the same as you have...?", and gave no opinions at all, but the third spent time on this, gave a few options, and finally said concluded, "I think, mid-rail at this height, and the wider glazing bars in the units. I can fit this profile corner post...". And he was right. Mind you, that was the company's owner, whereas the other two may have just sent out their measuring fellows.

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    What sort of bay is it?  There is a possibility that the frames need to be stronger than normal to support what is above - quote 3 is around what I would expect if this was the case.
  • Postik
    Postik Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Secondly, I personally always take online reviews with a fairly large pinch of salt.  Sure they can give you a bit of a guide, but really any old Tom, William or Harry can write a good review - and probably will if they are the trader's son, nephew, daughter and wife :)

Depends how many reviews they have.  If it's 6 then I agree.  If it's 300 then that's a bit more difficult to fake.

OP - If you wanted to go with the more expensive quote then another option is to negotiate.  Say you've had 3 other comparable quotes and you want to go with him but he's the most expensive, is there any movement in the price.  Be prepared for him to say no (I get this all the time and I know that often the client is comparing apples with oranges).  But he might say yes if he wants the business.

Also negotiating isn't what most people do which is just saying, "Can you do it cheaper."  You could possibly negotiate a better price by paying a larger deposit up-front, or accepting to have the work done later than you'd like to give the supplier more breathing space, etc.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,599 Forumite
    Options
    Postik said:

Depends how many reviews they have.  If it's 6 then I agree.  If it's 300 then that's a bit more difficult to fake.

OP - If you wanted to go with the more expensive quote then another option is to negotiate.  Say you've had 3 other comparable quotes and you want to go with him but he's the most expensive, is there any movement in the price.  Be prepared for him to say no (I get this all the time and I know that often the client is comparing apples with oranges).  But he might say yes if he wants the business.

Also negotiating isn't what most people do which is just saying, "Can you do it cheaper."  You could possibly negotiate a better price by paying a larger deposit up-front, or accepting to have the work done later than you'd like to give the supplier more breathing space, etc.
    Similar to above. You could say to the most expensive one, that £5K was more than you budgeted for and with the cost of living crisis etc etc. 
    Maybe they will stick with the price and offer you interest free finance .
    Or if the quote was itemised, maybe they will throw one item in for free.
    Unless you ask you will never know.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure