BA flight cancelled less than 24 hours but compensation denied

Options
Hi all

I had a BA flight booked on Friday departing 1255 to Vienna. I received a message the night before around 1900 saying my flight had been cancelled and offered to book me on the next flight departing 1525.

I accepted this and after doing some research, saw I should be entitled to some compensation for the cancelled flight. I submitted the claim but they have denied it saying the flight was cancelled due to adverse weather.

How is it possible that the other three flights from LHR that day all managed to depart. I asked a BA crew why my flight had been cancelled and they said it was not full so they cancelled that flight and moved people to the other flights on the same day.

I've submitted an appeal but I think this is appealing treatment and it's really put me off BA. Has anyone got any experience of a situation like mine please? 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've had a similar issue with Air France KLM.  I tried all available routes to get the compensation, except going to court, but I got nowhere.  The airline's "official" details of the cancelled flight appear to be what matters
  • beckysbobbles12
    beckysbobbles12 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for responding, How sad that they do not care about their customers.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I had a BA flight booked on Friday departing 1255 to Vienna. I received a message the night before around 1900 saying my flight had been cancelled and offered to book me on the next flight departing 1525.

I accepted this and after doing some research, saw I should be entitled to some compensation for the cancelled flight. I submitted the claim but they have denied it saying the flight was cancelled due to adverse weather.

How is it possible that the other three flights from LHR that day all managed to depart. I asked a BA crew why my flight had been cancelled and they said it was not full so they cancelled that flight and moved people to the other flights on the same day.

I've submitted an appeal but I think this is appealing treatment and it's really put me off BA. Has anyone got any experience of a situation like mine please? 
    What form has your appeal taken?  If you're still just dealing with BA and they've given you their final response, then you can escalate to CEDR for independent adjudication - on the face of it it sounds unlikely that adverse weather could genuinely constitute sufficiently extraordinary circumstances for a flight from BA's main base to be cancelled the day before operation, so you should have a decent chance of success.
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking at FlyerTalk, there have been Air Traffic Control restrictions on traffic at LHR on Thurs/Fri last week due to high winds on approach to the airport. This would be known in advance, and could lead to a cancellation in this manner.

If it is down to ATC restrictions due to weather, this would not be eligible for compensation. The same thing has happened again - LHR tend to prefer to put traffic regulations in place the night before to try and reduce last-minute cancellations.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
     Heathrow pretty much operates at full capacity most of the time.  Therefore is there are weather events forecast or that occur, often Heathrow will dictate to airlines that a % of flights need cancelling to keep things running smoothly when the capacity will be reduced.

As @mdann52 says if it was due to ATC/Airport restrictions outside of BA's control then they're correct in saying compensation isn't due
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback