BT Mobile to EE switch - be wary of recontracting / EU roaming change

Options
interbear
interbear Posts: 64 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I called BT to see if I could renegotiate my fibre broadband price. No go there as it’s still in contract. Unprompted by me the BT advisor then said that he’d noticed I had a BT Mobile SIM only plan (I use it for data only in a 4G mobile router) and that as BT were switching all BT Mobile users to EE, he’d arrange that while we were on the call. No problem said I, as long as the service, data, price and contract period remained the same. I asked that because the existing BT Mobile contract expires in July and I have every intention of cancelling it then. No problem, everything would stay exactly the same, I was told. 

EE SIM arrives 2 days later, I switch it out and all works fine. I set up my EE online account, check the plan and see that I’ve been recontracted for another 2 year period out to February 2026! 

Several phone calls to BT and EE and I now have a note on my account that I can cancel or switch on the original expiry date of July. Good job I noticed this though. 

One other downside is that the reason I picked a BT Mobile SIM in the first place was because it included free EU roaming as part of the plan. The new EE SIM does not include this and has a daily charge for EU roaming. 

All in all what was supposed to be a like for like switch was definitely not and it seemed a little underhand by BT/EE to me. So be wary of this if you are asked by BT Mobile to switch your SIM to EE. 

Comments

• Arkanoid1
    Arkanoid1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I've just been caught out by this. Switched 1 week ago. Was promised by BT that free roaming would be applied. When i log into my account i see it's not. Not acceptable for a company to lie.
  • Arkanoid1
    Arkanoid1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Follow up to my last post. I called up EE and explained i was promised Free roaming on conversion. They applied the free roaming to my accounts and mentioned it was difficult for BT to do. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback