Cost of care for the elderly

Options
My husband, aged 74 years has dementia and had to go into permanent residential care.  He is self funding, except for the attendance allowance of just over £100 per week.  Any assets over £23,250 mean that he pays for everything.  That figure has not risen since goodness knows when.  It was the same when my mother went into care in 2010, yet care home fees have risen astronomically.  As if that isn't bad enough, they still squeeze you until your assets go down to £14,250.  Is there any hope on the horizon for help for funding of care for the elderly?  All we hear is increases in child care allowance.

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure someone will come along who can explain better, but if you owned and shared your property with your husband then because you live there  that property doesn't have to be sold to pay for his care.  

Between £23,250 down to  £14, 250 you have a contribution paid towards your care by the LA.

I believe the amount  that was  talked about increasing before you start paying  costs  has been postponed/cancelled 
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    social care is getting more and more and local councils are going bankrupt so it is only understandable that people have to pay for care home fees themselves.

i think it is about time people are forced to pay into a care funding pot, like a personal pension plan, which they can use for care as people are living longer and so the majoiry of people will be needing care.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My husband, aged 74 years has dementia and had to go into permanent residential care.  He is self funding, except for the attendance allowance of just over £100 per week.  Any assets over £23,250 mean that he pays for everything.  That figure has not risen since goodness knows when.  It was the same when my mother went into care in 2010, yet care home fees have risen astronomically.  As if that isn't bad enough, they still squeeze you until your assets go down to £14,250.  Is there any hope on the horizon for help for funding of care for the elderly?  All we hear is increases in child care allowance.
    You may remember that Boris Johnson "fixed" this with some proposed reforms that would at least limit lifetime payments to fund some aspects of care. However, he got booted out and his "promise" got conveniently postponed until at least October 2025. Which is convenient for the Tories because the next election has to be held no later than January 2025 and their chances of winning seem rather low...... It's not something Labour mentions.

Like the other posters said, the country is in a mess and any reform to funding of residential care is low priority because it is so expensive and there are many other priorities (like illusory tax cuts). We just need to accept this reality and assume it won't change in the near term.

I have just been through all of this with my FiL who moved into self-funding full time care 2 years ago. It certainly opened my eyes and has made me think about how we will fund our care in the future if we need it. 
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    i think it is about time people are forced to pay into a care funding pot, like a personal pension plan, which they can use for care 
    Personal pensions can already be used to pay care fees, and people who can't afford to fund their pensions can't afford care fees either.

So you may as well argue for compulsory pension contributions; and we have already gone as far as we politically can with auto-enrolment. Pension companies have lobbied for higher auto enrolment contributions since the system was introduced, but they have gone nowhere since 2019.
  • Lindagreenacre
    Lindagreenacre Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The government can find money to help the families with childcare, but not for those who suffer from illness which means that they go into care. The fact that my husband has subsidised people who won't work by paying National Insurance and Income Tax and those who have not saved their money is galling.  Yes, I know that there are people who cannot work and I appreciate that. If you are self funding, in a care home, you pay extra to subsidise those who are paid for by the local authority at a rate below what the care home wants. Rant over.
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    i think it is about time people are forced to pay into a care funding pot, like a personal pension plan, which they can use for care 
    Personal pensions can already be used to pay care fees, and people who can't afford to fund their pensions can't afford care fees either.

So you may as well argue for compulsory pension contributions; and we have already gone as far as we politically can with auto-enrolment. Pension companies have lobbied for higher auto enrolment contributions since the system was introduced, but they have gone nowhere since 2019.
    a lot of people spend their money on the lifestyle they want and then have little when they get to old age and rely on the state to fund their care.  by enforcing a care policy contribution, this will take pressure off the state.
  • Lindagreenacre
    Lindagreenacre Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Think that I need to go on expensive holidays.   B)
  • kaysdee
    kaysdee Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently got a shock as I was under the misapprehension that capital under £14,250 meant a fully funded place. My husband is 62 (I’m younger) diagnosed with young onset dementia 5 years ago and we still have kids at home. He lost his PIP as expected when he went into a temporary placement last year and only has ESA now. His placement is now permanent and a new financial assessment says the LA now expect him to use his ESA to contribute, leaving him with only £28 per week personal allowance. Our home is disregarded but they allowed no deductions for any essential household costs (insurances, etc) or allowance for the kids. I work full time but not highly paid. It’s very difficult both emotionally and financially.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback