Amazon Prime Forced on me!

Options
It seems if I want to buy on Amazon I now get forced to take prime for a free trial. No way! I have gone over to Ebay to buy stuff. Wary now of buying books for my Fire in case they slip it in there. Anyone have issues with this forced offer?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March at 10:10PM
    Options
    It’s not a forced offer because you can refuse it. And if you want to use the free trial for item that’s only available on prime you just sign up, place your order and then cancel straightaway. I’ll try will keep going to the end if you want to buy the house, but it won’t automatically ring you if you have already cancelled.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    There is always a 'no thanks' button, they keep moving it, but the 'continue without prime' is always there.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have to look hard when buying through the app on a small screen but the option to say no is there and as others have stated it is very easy to cancel so why not take them up on their kind offer of a freebee.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You don't "get forced".
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    elsien said:
    It’s not a forced offer because you can refuse it. And if you want to use the free trial for item that’s only available on prime you just sign up, place your order and then cancel straightaway. 
    Several reasons why I'm not keen on buying from Amazon these days but to be fair as you say they let you cancel straight away and keep the benefits from the rest of the trail period. 

They seem to offer 30 days once a year which I usually save for around Christmas time and then they seem to offer 99p for a week, last time I used that and then went to cancel after the order they gave the option of cancel but keep the 7 days or cancel and lose benefits now with an 86p refund.

Next day delivery for 13p on a one off order isn't bad going.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have to find the "no thanks" option hidden on the screen each time.  It's usually greyed out, so it's not obvious you can click on it.  And it's just a bit of text, not a big button.  But it is always there somewhere.  I have still avoided Prime in all the years it's been running.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    No because it doesn't happen. 

To be honest though... sign up to the free trial, make use of the benefits it gives and cancel before the end of the trial period. After that you won't be offered for at least a few months and often a year again. 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March at 9:57PM
    Options
    I always decline the offer.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just click the box which declines signing up to Prime and the order will continue without Prime.

But, why wouldn't you take up the free offer and just cancel afterwards? It will save you money, and given the forum we're on...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback