PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Death of tenant- who is responsible?

My mother has died in her social housing flat, we have not been in contact for many years but it will be down to me to deal with telling council and suppliers etc, she was a hoarder and the flat is filled top to bottom with furniture, rubbish and dog mess, I do not have the manpower or any money to clear this and I have had to get a loan to pay for the funeral, once I have contacted the social housing are they going to bill me for removing the items and cleaning the place, I struggle to see how her debts aren’t being left to me but rules of her tenancy will be, a friend of a friend who works at the same housing association has said they will claim back all the charges. 

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Surely they will try to claim back from the estate, not you. Was her net worth when she died significantly greater than zero? 
  • missje
    missje Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    RHemmings said:
    Surely they will try to claim back from the estate, not you. Was her net worth when she died significantly greater than zero? 
    she has nothing but debt
  • missje
    missje Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    la531983 said:
    Your friend is talking absolute rubbish, hand the keys back in and walk away. They can only claim from the estate, if there is nothing they can go whistle.

And putting yourself into debt to pay for funeral isnt a great idea, especially if you werent particularly close.. Contact her local authority and ask for a public health funeral

Thank you I will take a look, at the moment this tenancy is my biggest stress, the place is an absolute health hazard I wouldn’t even know where to begin if it was my responsibility 
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 March at 2:26PM
    missje said:
    la531983 said:
    Your friend is talking absolute rubbish, hand the keys back in and walk away. They can only claim from the estate, if there is nothing they can go whistle.

And putting yourself into debt to pay for funeral isnt a great idea, especially if you werent particularly close.. Contact her local authority and ask for a public health funeral

Thank you I will take a look, at the moment this tenancy is my biggest stress, the place is an absolute health hazard I wouldn’t even know where to begin if it was my responsibility 
    Assuming you havent provided your name as some sort of guarantor, and signed to that effect, they can send you letter after letter asking for money, your liability is a total of £0.00 and every court in the land would laugh the housing association out. Being "next of kin" is meaningless when it comes to debts.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March at 2:26PM
    Have you already taken out the loan?  And arranged the funeral?

Can you cancel under any cooling off rules?  If too late for that can you speak with the lender and pay it back without charge or fee?

As others have said this is not your responsibility.   
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Politely email the LL saying that there is no estate and please do. It contact you again.
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I hope you can work a way through it, it sounds very stressful - but don't borrow money for the funeral. As has been mentioned contact the local authority for a public health funeral. If there's nothing of value in her estate and only debts, then there's nothing for them to claim in terms of the housing costs or outstanding rent, unless for any reason anybody had agreed in times past to be a guarantor - but unlikely that would be the case.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 March at 2:31PM
    You would need to post in https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/deaths-funerals-probate as there are debts involved and this, you do not want to be the executer - even if named in the will you don't need to be, from little I do know, is post in the board everything you have done so far so they can advise if you can walk away doing nothing.

If you have done nothing, the social housing agents will say it's you - it's not they know it isn't but don't want to sort it out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback