Tax on redundancy

Options
I am due to be made redundant in June. My severance payment will be £58000 on top of my wages that month, there is no PILON or holiday pay to be added. The whole £58000 is severance payment. 

I have had conflicting information on how it will be taxed. The first £30k I know is free of tax but I am not sure of how the remaining £28k will be taxed. I have been told by one person that it will be taxed at 20% and I have also been told that the first £3730 will be taxed at 20% and the remaining £24270 will be taxed at 40%. 

Can anyone help clarify?

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am due to be made redundant in June. My severance payment will be £58000 on top of my wages that month, there is no PILON or holiday pay to be added. The whole £58000 is severance payment. 

I have had conflicting information on how it will be taxed. The first £30k I know is free of tax but I am not sure of how the remaining £28k will be taxed. I have been told by one person that it will be taxed at 20% and I have also been told that the first £3730 will be taxed at 20% and the remaining £24270 will be taxed at 40%. 

Can anyone help clarify?
    Not without knowing how much you will earn in that tax year, which also depends on when you start new employment and what you are paid. Do you intend to start a new job, do you have one lined up?

If you do not need the money as you have a new job to go to then it may make sense to put everything above the £30k limit into your pension.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 4 March at 10:52PM
    Options
    It will be taxed as an extra £28,000 of salary in June. Whether the 40% kicks in depends on your annual salary and how much you have been paid up until June.

• NewIslington
    Options

daveyjp said:
    It will be taxed as an extra £28,000 of salary in June. Whether the 40% kicks in depends on your annual salary and how much you have been paid up until June.

daveyjp said:

Can anyone help clarify?
    Not without knowing how much you will earn in that tax year, which also depends on when you start new employment and what you are paid. Do you intend to start a new job, do you have one lined up?

If you do not need the money as you have a new job to go to then it may make sense to put everything above the £30k limit into your pension.
    My annual salary is £42000 so the payment will take me in to the 40% zone. I probably won’t work for a few months. 

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 March at 6:50PM
    Options
    daveyjp said:

40% kicks in at personal allowance + £9425 YTD (£12570 if on 1257) at June so definitely some 40% will be deducted. In fact some 45% would likely be deducted as that will kick in at £34430 YTD on 1257.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback