3G Switch Off - Get Out Of Jail Free?

Options
nedge2k
nedge2k Posts: 7 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Thought I'd post this for anyone in similar situation.

I'm on Vodafone, recently they turned off 3G in my area and despite the claims of 3G radio frequencies being used to improve 4G and 5G**, my service became pretty unusable. Mobile internet was useless and I frequently could not make or receive calls.

Rang up support asking to be released from contract. Was told I'd have to pay over £300 to end early, was given the usual 1st line nonsense. Asked to be escalated, more run around.

Went onto Resolver, within 24hrs a lovely lady based in the UK had confirmed my signal was crap with their engineers (rather than just using the generic coverage tool) and waived the termination fee, allowing me to switch to another network.

My wife is on Three, her signal has recently degraded. Will report back what happens there.

** I'd love to know how that's supposed to work, was under the impression that the chipsets in phones had the various G's tied to specific frequency ranges...and it's not like new firmwares for the majority of existing devices would be forthcoming.

Comments

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nedge2k said:
    Thought I'd post this for anyone in similar situation.

I'm on Vodafone, recently they turned off 3G in my area and despite the claims of 3G radio frequencies being used to improve 4G and 5G**, my service became pretty unusable. Mobile internet was useless and I frequently could not make or receive calls.

Rang up support asking to be released from contract. Was told I'd have to pay over £300 to end early, was given the usual 1st line nonsense. Asked to be escalated, more run around.

Went onto Resolver, within 24hrs a lovely lady based in the UK had confirmed my signal was crap with their engineers (rather than just using the generic coverage tool) and waived the termination fee, allowing me to switch to another network.

My wife is on Three, her signal has recently degraded. Will report back what happens there.

** I'd love to know how that's supposed to work, was under the impression that the chipsets in phones had the various G's tied to specific frequency ranges...and it's not like new firmwares for the majority of existing devices would be forthcoming.
    Almost, but some of the frequency ranges are duplicated between the different technologies. For example 4G Bands 5, 18, 19 are the same as the 850 MHz band used for HSDPA (3G)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback