Switching from Talk Talk due to poor connection

Options
Currently, I'm subscribed to Talk Talk's broadband-only Fibre 65 deal, and I'm outside of the contract period. I haven't renewed my contract due to ongoing internet connectivity issues. When I connect my TV using a cable, apps like YouTube and Disney Plus often report no internet connection, and the WiFi signal in my flat is consistently weak. Despite reporting these issues to Talk Talk, the problem persists. After sending an Openreach engineer to my flat, they made some adjustments and replaced the socket, but the connection remains unreliable. I'm contemplating switching to either Vodafone or Sky, as both offer similar broadband speeds in my area, with Vodafone priced at £26 a month and Sky at £28 a month. I'm unsure if switching providers will resolve my broadband issues, especially since I've heard they all utilize BT cables. While staying with Talk Talk might result in a better deal, potentially including a free WiFi booster, I'm worried the connection problems may persist indefinitely.

I am confused, any advices ?

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless your exchange has TalkTalk equipment in it (called unbundled) then it will be using the BT Openreach all the way through (it would still be using the same Openreach cabling all the way from the house to the exchange even if unbundled). So, switching to Vodafone (as bad at customer service as Talktalk) or Sky will use the same equipment.

However, that is just the cabling up to the router. How old is the TalkTalk router you have?

You appear to be complaining about the wifi within the home, this is provided by the router, although also talk about the TV not working when connected by cable to the router which will bypass the wifi.

When the TV is showing the error, can other devices get to the internet ok, or are they showing a similar issue? So for example, can you use Youtube on a laptop / tablet when the TV says it can't reach the internet?

• SebSai
    SebSai Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    400ixl said:
    Unless your exchange has TalkTalk equipment in it (called unbundled) then it will be using the BT Openreach all the way through (it would still be using the same Openreach cabling all the way from the house to the exchange even if unbundled). So, switching to Vodafone (as bad at customer service as Talktalk) or Sky will use the same equipment.

However, that is just the cabling up to the router. How old is the TalkTalk router you have?

You appear to be complaining about the wifi within the home, this is provided by the router, although also talk about the TV not working when connected by cable to the router which will bypass the wifi.

When the TV is showing the error, can other devices get to the internet ok, or are they showing a similar issue? So for example, can you use Youtube on a laptop / tablet when the TV says it can't reach the internet?

Thanks for replying 

The router is four years old.

On the TV, it's mainly Disney Plus and YouTube that don’t load. However, I can use YouTube and Disney Plus on my phone without any issues at the same time. Regarding WiFi, my wife’s phone sometimes doesn't connect, while mine connects perfectly fine. 

On the TV, Netflix works without any problems.

I live in a one-bedroom flat, so the size is not big. I get zero signal in the bathroom and a very low signal in the bedroom.

There were no issues with the TV until two months ago.
  • M25
    M25 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No harm in trying Vodafone you'll get new kit. Vodafone used to allow new customers the chance to leave for free within 30 days I don't see that any more. If calling them ask about that.

If you want a better wi-fi signal and a 4G backup then consider their Pro services.

• Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @SebSai Do you have a landline phone plugged into the line? Can you hear any crackling noises etc on the line?
  • SebSai
    SebSai Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    @SebSai Do you have a landline phone plugged into the line? Can you hear any crackling noises etc on the line?
    Hii

No to both questions 
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 March at 8:57AM
    Options
    If you have problems with Ethernet connections as well as WiFi connections, have Talk Talk replaced the router ? , when you have no connection, what is the status of the router ,  normally the lights on the router indicate what status its in , connected , reconnecting , disconnected, etc. what does your router indicate when you are having problems ?

Although it’s true , swapping providers will not change the underlying ‘network’ provided by Openreach FTTC , that’s only really from your address to the headend , the backhaul can vary depending on the individual ISP , so don’t assume that changing providers won’t make a difference, it could , it depends on what the problem is , if there is one , and if there is a problem , where it is .
    TBH , it could just as easily be your TV that’s the issue and not your broadband.
  • Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    SebSai said:
    Hii

No to both questions 
    If you haven't got a landline phone you can plug in, see if you can borrow one and listen to the line especially when you have the problem.
    As iniltous has said, you also need to identify what all your router lights are doing when this problem happens, this might help identify if there's an issue with the "overall" internet connection but it doesn't eliminate the router as a possible cause.
    It's case of trying to narrow down where the problem is by eliminating everything you can.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback