Curry’s delivery charge

Options
So I went to buy a condensing tumble dryer from Curry’s today on line, no option for free delivery, ranged for  £35 down to £20 I kept scrolling and no free delivery, the tumble dryer was a 9kg Beko for £299, plus £20 delivery was the cheapest, so I went on EBay and saw a Hoover 9kg for £289 with Free delivery, guess what? I bought that one instead, won’t be buying form Scamming Curry’s again! Do your research lets hurt these companies so they comply with the public wants and needs, shameful of you curry’s! Others can do it why can’t you? 

Comments

• Officer_Dibble
    Officer_Dibble Posts: 373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 March at 12:22PM
    Options
    Remarkably it probably costs Currys more to deliver a machine to me than if I collect it. Who'd have thought? With more expensive items they can often hide the cost in the total price (thereby "scamming" people who collect), but that's harder for cheaper goods.

You're right when you say do your research. Find the machine you want and research prices including delivery at a time that suits you. Go with the cheapest (assuming they're a decent company). I had to pay a year membership of AO at £40 with my washing machine as (even including the £40) that gave the best price anywhere, once delivery and removal of the old machine were included. Hopefully the dishwasher will break within the year so I can take full advantage of the membership!
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It was obvious that the post was always going to be nonsense, as it began with a hipster 'So...'

iElvispresley0 said:
    So I went to buy a condensing tumble dryer.... 

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    So I went to buy a condensing tumble dryer from Curry’s today on line, no option for free delivery, ranged for  £35 down to £20 I kept scrolling and no free delivery, the tumble dryer was a 9kg Beko for £299, plus £20 delivery was the cheapest, so I went on EBay and saw a Hoover 9kg for £289 with Free delivery, guess what? I bought that one instead, won’t be buying form Scamming Curry’s again! Do your research lets hurt these companies so they comply with the public wants and needs, shameful of you curry’s! Others can do it why can’t you? 

Currys (and other retailers) don't offer free delivery on everything - and the cost to deliver a big hunking chunk of metal like a tumble dryer isn't the price of a first class stamp. As others have said  you compare what's on offer from various retailers and make an informed choice. I hope the ebay seller is a big business name with good service backup? As if the new tumble drier goes wrong, you might have more of a fight to get it put right from a one-man band that operates from a garage at the bottom of a garden in the middle of nowhere.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the original post meant to be some sort of rallying call?

Learning what "scam" means should be taught in school.  
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• CouldntResist
    CouldntResist Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 3 March at 12:29AM
    Options
    Personally, I think referring to everything you don't like as a scam is the kind of thing that leads to a person being referred to as a 'low information voter'.

Next post: 'I bought a tumble dryer off eBay which has now stopped working and the seller won't reply to me - I've been scammed'
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As the product differs maybe the Ebay seller added the delivery cost to the item and put it as free delivery as it sounds a lot better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback