Faulty Arc'teryx Jacket

Options
Rhoo
Rhoo Posts: 8 Forumite
First Post
After wearing a brand new winter Down Parka {£1350.00} for a handful of days I noticed marks appearing on the collar {collar only}. It seems like a fabric fault...

- I got in touch with the London store immediately by phone, followed by email with photos. They replied {after 1 week....} that since I had worn the new jacket and the return time had passed to get in touch with Arc'terix directly via email which they provided
- The Arc'teryx customer service {in Vancouver, BC} advised to send the new jacket to their repair shop in Scotland {to be packed & shipped & paid for by me} to be assessed and warned that they would charge to have the garment cleaned or repaired.
- The jacket arrived 5 business days ago at the repair shop and I am waiting to hear from them

Apart from having to find something else to wear I am worried about receiving a "repaired" or "laundered" item back.

Question: Does anyone know whether I have the right to ask for a refund even after the return by date of 24. January 2024? And if so, where and how would I do this? Has anyone any experience when dealing with Arc'teryx's customer service?

Any info appreciated. 
Thank you.

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would wait and see their reponse - they could claim the material has been damaged by a chemical in which case you may have to pay for cleaning and repair - however they should ask you whether you want this first 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    Options
    Do you wear any products in your hair that might leave stains on the fabric?
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's not 100% clear where the marks are on the collar... it looks like maybe the lead edge? Are there similar on the other side? First guess would be some lotion, perfume etc you have on has transferred oils or such to the collar. 
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have to concur with the other answers. It looks to me like chemical damage rather than a manufacturing defect.
  • Rhoo
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your input. I have worn different label white down jackets before for years without issues and this is why I assumed it could be a fabric fault. I received an email from the repair shop in the meantime saying that it will take them 1 or 2 weeks to respond.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    Options
    Rhoo said:
    Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your input. I have worn different label white down jackets before for years without issues and this is why I assumed it could be a fabric fault. I received an email from the repair shop in the meantime saying that it will take them 1 or 2 weeks to respond.
    Fingers crossed,
    Life in the slow lane
  • Rhoo
    First Post
    Options
    UPDATE:
    8. March 2024: ".... There's a fabric issue on the inner side of the collar of this parka.

I'm honestly not too sure what could be the cause of this. The parka is in otherwise very good conditions and very new

Unfortunately, the experts at the repair facility have determined that the issue cannot be repaired.

Due to this, we would like to offer you a replacement item in exchange for recycling your parka.

You can choose any item from the website up to the same value of your old item at £1,350.00"

26. March 2024: "...As informed in my previous email, a refund or store credit can't be offered. We have legislative restrictions in the way we handle refunds with separate financial accounts between ecommerce and Brand stores sales, it is not possible to refund this order in this case. It is also not possible to process a physical store credit (for use in a retailer or brand store).

We can offer a replacement of the exact same item, or you can choose multiple items for the same price of £1,350.00, from our website. Either this or we can return your parka as it is. 

Please let me know if you have any questions."

QUESTION: We accepted the fact that our complaint came 2 weeks too late for their return policy and we sadly won't get the money back. But why the ONLINE credit? It was bought in their London store? They are 
    adamant that they will not give us store credit....? 
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,597 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 March at 12:27PM
    Options
    Hello OP

It reads as if you are dealing with the brand rather than the retailer (unless they are one and the same?) in which case, beyond any warranty terms, their offer would be fine.

Consumer rights with the retailer would be repair (I understand Arc'terix said this is not possible) or replace and if they fail to do either then you can reject for a refund to the original payment method. 

You ideally want to formally exercise your final right to reject with the retailer before 6 months have passed since delivery as after this the refund can be reduced to account for use (probably not much in this case) and burden of proof switches to you. Whilst the repair centre have advised it can't be repaired it isn't clear if they've confirmed a fault or are doing this out of goodwill (I'd image a company selling coats for over £1000 is more likely to keep customers happy compared to buying a £50 coat from a big box type retailer). 
  • Rhoo
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you, very much appreciate your input and suggestions.
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 March at 11:49PM
    Options
    Rhoo said:
    Thank you, very much appreciate your input and suggestions.
    If you want a refund and not a replacement or some sort of credit to the value of £1350, it would be helpful to know who you bought the parka from and who the email offer is from.

Did you buy it instore from Arc'teryx in London and is the email offer from them, or from Arc'teryx in Canada?

If (a) you bought instore in London and (b) the offer is from Canada and (c) the email is accepting that the parka material is faulty, then under UK consumer law you ought to be able to get a refund from the London store - and that refund should be by the same method you originally used to buy it.  The people in Canada who sent the email may not be aware that you have a UK legal right to be refunded by the same method - assuming they've accepted it's faulty.

But if Arc'teryx are't accepting that it's faulty, and they are just offering a goodwill gesture, they can refund you how they like.

If you did buy it instore in London it's a pity that they referred you to customer services in Canada .  They've complicated things by doing that as the email from Canada sems to be saying they can't refund you because you didn't buy from them.

I'd be inclined to go back to whoever sent you the email and tell them that - assuming they are accepting that the item is faulty by offering a replacement - you want the store you bought it from to refund you.  Can Arc'teryx in Canada facilitate that?  (ie instruct their London store to refund you).

Of course if you didn't buy from the Arc'teryx store...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback