ID Mobile charging for OTP from Bank

Options
Hi,
I'm in the middle of trying to buy a new PC online.  Through this I've discovered that I couldn't complete the purchase because of Verify Visa giving an error. After calls to the Bank they've said that the problem is that ID Mobile haven't set my sim up to receive the OTP.  So on I went to talk with ID's support, who inform me that in order to receive the OTP from Verfiy Vesa I have to sign on to receive premium texts which cost me £1.50 a pop!  They say these OTP messages are classed as premium messages.

Anyone else come across this with their providers?  Seems a rather steep charge everytime I need to buy something online with my Bank card.  I usually use Paypal for my online purchases but the company I'm buying the PC from don't offer it as a payment option (sigh).

Robert

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your bank have an app you could download and use to verify payments? 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Which bank is this?  I haven't had this from any bank for any card purchase.  M&S, MBNA, Santander, Barclays.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never come across this. I use Lloyds Bank's app to approve purchases with my Credit Card. This works using your data allowance or WiFi. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm with ID and haven't had this. Which bank do you use?
  • buddies_forever
    Options
    jbrassy said:
    I'm with ID and haven't had this. Which bank do you use?
    It's the Cooperative Bank.  When I tried to make the payment a verify visa code was generated and when I gave this to the Bank they said it meant that ID hasn't fully activated my account to receive these types of message. I was instructed to call ID which I did. They told me that in order to receive these messages I would need to be a premium user and each text would be £1.50
  • WelshPaul
    WelshPaul Posts: 536 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    iD Mobile does not charge you for receiving OTP's. I guess the person you spoke with didn't know why the OTP wasn't coming through and thought it may be because you have a premium text bar in place.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You shouldn't be charged for receiving them but see the following link regarding the sending of short code sms messages on ID Mobile 

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/cannot-send-shortcode-sms-58226
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cooperative usually uses a Visa Secure Password rather than a OTP. 

If it is a OTP then there's a couple of explanations. 

Think about the date that you first gave coop your mobile number. Since that date have you ported your number to a different provider? If so that can stop OTPs from arriving. (For security, they are injected directly into the receiving networks message centre) If you ported the number more than a couple of days ago then use your online account to update your phone number but re-enter your existing number. 

The other option is that the provider the coop is using is getting it wrong. 

• buddies_forever
    Options
    WelshPaul said:
    iD Mobile does not charge you for receiving OTP's. I guess the person you spoke with didn't know why the OTP wasn't coming through and thought it may be because you have a premium text bar in place.
    While this is distinctly possible it still leaves me wondering what the real reason is that the payment isn't going through when the bank is saying the code I received after the attempt indicates something isn't complete in my SIM activation?  No point asking ID as they don't seem to know either if you're correct.
  • buddies_forever
    Options
    PHK said:
    Cooperative usually uses a Visa Secure Password rather than a OTP. 

If it is a OTP then there's a couple of explanations. 

Think about the date that you first gave coop your mobile number. Since that date have you ported your number to a different provider? If so that can stop OTPs from arriving. (For security, they are injected directly into the receiving networks message centre) If you ported the number more than a couple of days ago then use your online account to update your phone number but re-enter your existing number. 

The other option is that the provider the coop is using is getting it wrong. 

With regards to your first statement, I believe this has changed fairly recently. I, too, used to fill out select letters from a password.

I'll also try your suggestion. The agent for the bank did say she had updated all my details but maybe she missed something.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback