Do you want your receipt at the till warning!

Options
Frank99
Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 29 February at 6:01PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Ever since the pandemic i now get asked if i want my receipt or not at the till in some cases i am not even offered it at all, pre pandemic a receipt was naturally just given to me in all stores.

Unfortunately i found an item from a frozen food store was rotten inside and i tried to return it but of course i was never given a receipt and so had no way of proving i purchased it from them.

I have learned my lesson and insist on a receipt if it is a store with no digital receipts or apps.
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• strawbeery90
    strawbeery90 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes, receipt is really important. 
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    Frank99 said:
    Unfortunately i found an item from a frozen food store was rotten inside and i tried to return it but of course i was never given a receipt and so had no way of proving i purchased it from them.

If it was branded (Birdeyes or whatever) it might be worth contacting the brand, they usually have some details of the consumer helpline on the packaging and they might offer a voucher or similar. 

If it was supermarket branded you'd think with it being rotten they'd just replace it, perhaps an email to their customer care or head office will again result in a voucher or similar. 
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was sent a summons through the post for driving the wrong way down a one way street in London.  The enclosed photo showed my number plate on a car which was not mine.  Fortunately, I had the receipt from a petrol station to show I was filling my car in the Midlands at the time of the offence, which helped persuade the police the offender was using fake plates. Now I always ask for a printed receipt, in case I need an alibi!
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work in a shop, we are told to ask the customer if they want a receipt. If we just print a receipt many customers either leave it on the counter or say 'can you chuck this in your bin'. Less than half of our customers want one and sometimes we have to insist they take one because certain items cannot be exchanged without one.

We have been told to ask as if we give every sale a receipt we use between 2 and 3 till rolls a day and its all about saving money these days.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sick to death the amount of times i have to ask. half the staff look at me as if to say " whats a receipt?"
  • s1ipmatt
    s1ipmatt Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree always get your receipt, I learnt this too.
    My wife received a fine a few months ago for £100 for claiming she was pregnant to get a free prescription. I collected the prescription from the pharmacy and I 100% did not claim she was pregnant, in fact I had paid for the prescription. But I did not ask for a receipt and didnt have one. But I had paid on my debit card so I could prove I had paid on the said date. The fine was later dropped but if I had not paid on my card I think id have no evidence and be forced to pay the fine. So now every time I get the receipt now!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback