Electric van purchase and tax allowances

Options
I have recently bought a 3 year old second hand electric van to use in my business for the start of the new financial year.  I am a sole trader and currently I use the 45p travel allowance.  I was now wondering if it was worth changing so that I put the van purchase and expenses through the business.  If so, can I split the purchase cost over several years?  If so, is there a maximum?

I expect to use my van privately for about 20-30% of the time and most of my driving will be local, so my travel allowance will be nowhere near as high as the cost of the van, even if split over 4 years.

Is this worth me considering and are there any pitfalls that I need to consider?

Thanks

Comments

• uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Capital allowance are what you need to read about;

Claim capital allowances: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Depending on which ones you choose they can split the cost (or to be more precise, taxable deduction) over several years.

• JohnnyJet
    JohnnyJet Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, so in the year of purchase am I able to decide how much AIA I claim?

For example:

First year
    Van purchase cost £10,000
    AIA claim £3,000

Second year
    Remaining value £7,000
    £7,000 x 18% (WDA) = £1,260

Third year
    Remaining value £5,740
    £5,740 x 18% (WDA) = 1033.20

Repeat until van fully written down.

Have I understood this correctly?
  • uknick
    Options
    Something like that.  Are you only going to claim AIA of £3k in year 1 because that suits your profits profile?

When you dispose of the van you will need to do an adjustment to your accounts to take into account any profit or loss made on the disposal.
  • JohnnyJet
    JohnnyJet Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes It will be something around the 3k mark for the first year as I am a new start up.  As I understand it, there is no point me claiming more that the profit I make in the first year as It will just be a wasted tax allowance.
  • uknick
    Options
    Yes and no, you can always carry forward losses to use against future profits.  It all depends on your personal requirements.

Some don't mind taking a big loss in one year to offset against future profits, possibly to turn them into losses, if it benefits their overall tax position.  Others want to show a profit each year so they can obtain finance; mortgage or new injection of cash into  the business.

This is what tax planning is all about.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure