Seller sent items week after chargeback dispute settled

Options
Good Morning all, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum so apologies, as I wasn't sure where this fits.

I purchased goods from the tiktok shop that were meant to be delivered before Christmas in December 2023.  On February 9th, the items still hadn't arrived so I contacted my credit card company and raised a dispute. The credit card company issued a chargeback and I was given the funds back on 13th February as the item had still not arrived and the tracking showed the item had not been sent. It was after reviewing the tracking that I realised the item was meant to be shipped from China.

So the dispute was closed. Yesterday I received the item, but as I was not home it was put in a safe place and I didn't sign for the item. I was shocked to see the item I had ordered in December had arrived. I reviewed the tracking online and could see that the item was sent out on 20th February - which is a week after the dispute was closed. My issue is that I now have an item I no longer need, as I got a replacement due to it not arriving and also, to return it will be costly. I can't understand why the company would send the goods one week after the bank closed the dispute. What I'd like to know is if I'm liable to pay for this item because it has arrived? And would the bank be involved again after closing the dispute?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your chargeback claim is unlikely to have been 'settled' or 'closed' as such at this stage - your bank will have reimbursed you on a provisional basis while giving the merchant the opportunity to challenge the claim, typically within 45 days.  If the goods have now been delivered then it's likely that the merchant will dispute the claim if there's some sort of proof of delivery, and the provisional refund will then be reimbursed, leaving you with the goods but having paid for them.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above. Case is not closed when you get the money back.
     Retailer have till 24th March to respond. But it will take bank longer to pick up. If retailer do contest, which they could now citing item sent & delivered.

I would sit tight for now & see what happens.

If company say can you cancel chargeback, tell them no. That is up to them to do.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    24th March assuming a slick process... even if they respond on the 24th March doesn't mean you get to hear about it instantly either. 

Likely the chargeback has spurred them into action and they can refute the chargeback with evidence that it has been delivered now. So wait a few weeks and the bank will probably say the decision has been reversed. 
  • danco
    danco Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You would have a case of some sort as the item was supposed to have been delivered by Christmas and was not even sent out until February. But I don't know what action to take, best to wait until there is a further response.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback