Problem with electric smart meter data after moving to Octopus.

Options
Penelopa.Pitstop
Penelopa.Pitstop Posts: 1,145 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 28 February at 1:55PM in Energy
I searched forum for similar issue, but didn't find exactly the same problem.

I switched to Octopus on 6th of January, with plan to switch to tracker or Agile tariff to save on current standard variable rate.

I noticed straight away, that my electric meter is not reporting to their system, but gas is doing it ok. I was previously with British Gas and meteres were reporting ok. Meters were installed in 2021, just before previous company went bankrupt and I was ported to BG.

On 8th of January I contacted them and sent photo of electric meter, as requested. Response was, that they have information about different meter at my address, do I have two meters, etc. I clarified, that there's only one meter at the property and it was installed on 1st of September 2021. I also mentioned, that it was reporting to BG without any problem and I can see data on Bright app, which means, meter is fine. I was assured problem will be solved in 14 days.

Nothing happened and after exchange of emails, I was asked to provide picture of meter again and sent it on 25th of January. I was again assured smart meter team will update the data on the system.

After chasing it again, I was told on 3rd of February, that it usually takes 3 weeks to update meter (new timeline!). I was not happy with the response and they raised formal complaint on 9th of February.

I chased it again on 12th of February and received response that they will let me know, when the meter is updated on their system.

I chased it again on 17th of February again and I was asked again to confirm when new meter was installed (installed in 2021! and I provided that info twice already. )

On 22nd, I was informed that meter info should be updated on 26th of Feb. It didn't happen, so I responded to the email thread again, copying complaints team and greg (CEO).

I got response on 28th of Feb (today) telling me, that they need some extra information, because my meter was "exchanged" on 3rd of January and I should send them photo of new meter. I repeated the same information I provided them before, attaching the same photos and print screens from Bright App showing date of installation of meter and some other data.

So it's basically talking to the wall. Providing the same information over and over again and receiving the same questions from hello@ email. I did not receive any response from other emails, but I quoted them again in my response today. Calling them doesn't change anything, because response is to send the email.

So, does anyone know, how to escalate the issue and get positive resolution? I moved to Octopus to save money, but I estimate, I lost around £100 by not being on a tracker during coldest months. I can't escalate to Energy Ombudsman yet, because my complaint was raised on 9th of February.

Gas meter is happily reporting and there's no issue with it, but I can't change to gas tracker, because of issues with electric meter.

If Octopus didn't have attractive tracker tariff, I would switch back to BG straight away.

Comments

• Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's entirely possible your old supplier didn't update the national (not supplier)  meter database when they swapped your meters in 2021.

It's not abnormal for people to run into issues.  Seen several examples posted here in past when some properties still show up as 2 meter 2 mpan systems - long after rts or old dual meter e7 / multirate electric meters replaced - and only causing problems during supplier switches - but working normally with existing supplier.

So could be similar database vs reality issue. 

(For anyone being billed SR on an original E7 style meter  - it's the meter type recorded not the tariff  - and Octopus are one supplier who's customers here have reported will regularly  default to meter type on switch - so posters here have had to switch then phobe to swap back to single rate billing.)

If gas is working - as that normally operates via the hub on the smart electric meter - suggesting comms side fine - suggesting a meter type issue.

Iirc others here have been told it takes 3 weeks to update the database once formally requested. 

But in past --iirc - some unable to move for the 2 mpan or ghost mpan problem - were told that had to be the supplier changing the meter.  And one supplier FAQ said would allow switch and help with update - but would bill to database meter type until resolved - including the SC for second MPAN iirc.

• Penelopa.Pitstop
    edited 28 February at 4:36PM
    Options
    I don't think there are two MPANs registered to my address. I checked national grid website and there's only one showing at my address. And no one ever tried to bill me for two. 

Meter was installed by previous supplier, then taken over by BG and then I moved to Octopus. So wouldn't the issue arise earlier, with BG?

Whatever is there to be resolved, I'm having problem with getting reasonable update. I'm asked about the same things over and over again and today I was even given info, that my meter was changed on 3rd of January and I should send a new photo. So, I'd like to escalate to someone who can actually read and think and give me answer what's going on and how long it's going to take to sort it out. Right now, it feels like I'm exchanging emails with bot. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 February at 5:08PM
    Options
    Octopus have a complaint process that usually works.
    Edit: you do say in your first.post that you have a complaint, but you've not mentioned the "unhappy" process yet. You might already be using it.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • ren4
    ren4 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Penelope Pitstop - just want to let you know, you aren't alone.  
    I expected better from Octopus and am put off from having Smart Meters myself.   
    In the last month I've taken over dealing with them on behalf of an elderly relative who had smart meters fitted by them - Never worked.  They were fed up of repeating themselves over and over too.  They couldn't take it any more after 16 months and now I know why!
    The email responses have to be by a bot.  I read Octopus are using bots to reply to emails but are supposed to be checked over before sending.  The emails have been inappropriate and rude. 
    If you contact them they don't look back at the history of your problem and treat it anew.  They haven't followed their own complaint process - I've tried asking where we are on it - no response.  You could be asked for a video next - we were.  We've now given them a deadline date and we will refer to the Energy Ombudsman.  I wish I'd done that a year ago.  Good luck.

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 February at 8:27PM
    Options
    Many times across multiple posts people say contact Octopus by X but it appears many don't heed that advice and they carry on emailing.

This is growing pains Octopus are probably the largest energy supplier of the lot?

Not an excuse just a fact.
  • ren4
    ren4 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I forgot to add - people seem to get somewhere if they use X.  We don't use social media - perhaps I should sign up to X just for this purpose?  
    I fear for the elderly who can't upload photos, take videos, shrink them to size, aren't on social media.  Shouldn't have to use social media to shame companies into acting.  
  • Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Penelopa.Pitstop If your meter is showing correctly on National Grid's website - correct serial number, MPAN etc, check what's showing on your last BG bill and any current Octopus Bill or check the detail in "My Account" or use the App. If everything matches except Octopus, then tell them they are the ones who've got their knickers in a knot!
    I would have thought you couldn't have got the Bright App set up to work if it wasn't correct everywhere else.
    Goto Bright's Support page in the App, and click the MPAN entry. It should show you all the correct details of the Meter, when it was commissioned etc as well as the same for the Comms Hub. If both are the same dates then clearly the meter hasn't been changed, so you can tell Octopus to extract their digit!!
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    edited 29 February at 8:50AM
    Options
    I checked everything again. Meter number shown on my BG bill and Octopus is the same. But I checked meter number against picture of meter that was installed on 1st of July 2021 and looks like both BG and Octopus use this number.
    This meter was faulty and was replaced on 1st of September 2021 and new one has different serial number. And picture of this meter was sent to Octopus.

Now, the meter has something called GUID printed on it and it's the same GUID I can see in the Bright app and it's reporting to the app. This GUID number is also called Inventory_EUI in the device details in Bright. It's GUID number of the current meter. Comission date is 1st of September 2021.

So looks like data of two meters are mixed up, but somehow it worked ok with British Gas and it works ok with Bright App. Looks like only serial number is not updated, but everything else is.

Octopus has all the pictures, so they should be able to work out that fact, that data of two meters are mixed up. 

Regarding comments about not contacting Octopus again and again by email, how else can I get any action from them? I don't use social media. Do I have to create X account just go get some reaction? 

• Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Phone them, usually answered within 5 minutes.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    But phoning them doesn't help. I was told, the person holding my complaint will call me. So far, not one phone call to Octopus led to anything, they don't seem to be there to solve the issue, but to redirect customer somewhere else, email, etc. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback