I need to get £8K this year for a holiday - worst bad credit cards wanted

Options
My credit score is 848 but I have some problems? can't get a bank or descent credit card. 
What are the worst credit cards for bad credit besides thimble and kimble or something? Will take them slowly and rebuild credit.
One girl said pay my cruise on paypal credit. how does that work? what is the borrowing limits? she said it may allow me to pay over 18 months of course I am looking at working and saving and other avenues like friends and family but I hate asking really struggling to get any job but I am super tight fisted with money. I do have a few ideas just need to maximise potentially income for year. I have an aqua and zopa so already started slowing building. couldnt even get a zilch increase. have gone back to all 3 credit agencies asking for help. 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 February at 12:52PM
    Options
    Credit score means nothing to lenders. It's your history that counts & guess from "can't get a bank or descent credit card" means you have missed payments or have defaults. DRo it seams..

Maybe not what you want to hear. I'm afraid that borrowing £8K for a holiday is not what you should be aiming for. Especially looking back at your history.
    Life in the slow lane
  • mr_stripey
    mr_stripey Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    borrowing 8 grand for a holiday is mad. The holiday will come and go and then you'll be back with 8 grand + interest to pay back. Even if you can get credit, it would be a really bad idea to do this (imo)

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options

What are the worst credit cards for bad credit besides thimble and kimble or something? Will take them slowly and rebuild credit.

You won't be taking anything slowly if you need 8k for a holiday. 

As you're 'super tight fisted', just save for the holiday. If that's not an option, neither is borrowing.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    Options
    My credit score is 848 but I have some problems? can't get a bank or descent credit card. 
    One girl said pay my cruise on paypal credit. how does that work? what is the borrowing limits? she said it may allow me to pay over 18 months of course I am looking at working and saving and other avenues like friends and family but I hate asking really struggling to get any job but I am super tight fisted with money. I do have a few ideas just need to maximise potentially income for year. I have an aqua and zopa so already started slowing building. couldnt even get a zilch increase. have gone back to all 3 credit agencies asking for help. 
    If you are thinking of putting the holiday on a credit card then you cannot afford it. You say you hav money problems already, adding eight thousand pounds of additional debt to that is only going to make it worse. You also said you are unemployed so that makes it an even worse proposition and likely why no lenders will lend to you. You need to stop trying to borrow money, stop spending on things you cannot afford and pay back any debt you have.  
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options

What are the worst credit cards for bad credit
    If you're thinking of putting an 8 grand holiday on a credit card with no means to repay it in full when the statement comes in, they're all bad.  And to correct the thread title "I need to get £8K" .... no, you want to get £8K, you don't need to.
    Sorry, that sounds really harsh, but if you haven't got the money saved up, then you can't afford the holiday.  No-one on this forum is going to advise paying for such an extravagant holiday on a credit card.  Even if you did manage to get a credit card, it would be financial madness to run up a debt you can't afford to repay.
    I really hope this doesn't sound as if I'm being nasty towards you - quite the opposite, in fact, it's intended to save you from saddling yourself with potentially crippling debt for many years to come.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I read correctly, the OP states they have no job and challenged finances, yet is still considering an £8k holiday which they might pay over 18-months.

IMO, it is not sensible for anyone to pay for a holiday over 18-months (or any period exceeding a year) on the basis that the individual is likely to want another holiday before the first is paid off so it creates a never-ending and increasing liability.  I'd even go so far as to say it is, IMO, not sensible to buy any holiday on credit - pay from income or excess savings.

I think the best thing the OP can do is to visit the DfW (Debt-free Wannabe) area of the forum and share their SoA (Statement of Affairs) so that they can understand their personal budgets and potentially identify opportunities to make efficiencies and identify how much is truly available to pay for a holiday (if that is still the priority after everything is properly reviewed).

I don't think that asking friends and family for a "loan" to pay for an expensive holiday is a good idea.  If they agree, then the relationship is at risk in the event of difficulty with repayment plus, the emergency blanket that might be afforded is gone.

Who is the girl that said to pay the cruise on paypal credit over 18 months?  If she is a new friend that the OP wishes to develop into more, then I suggest to walk away now as the indication is she might well enjoy a fortnight with the OP on a sunny cruise but will be away as soon as the clock strikes midnight and the magic money ends.
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Based on posting history, this is just another work of complete fantasy... it's actually quite concerning that someone is apparently so disconnected from reality, but we all know that this holiday just ain't happening, however many angles the OP tries to work here.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    Options
    I guess the question is, is this a committed spend, as in the holiday was already booked and deposit paid? If not then the advice above very valid and a holiday like this is not something to get into debt for.

If it has been committed to, then weighing up the sunk cost, and anything that cannot be refunded / avoided vs paying out more should be considered.

Lastly, if committed and can't refund or avoid then how best to find the money.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    Options
    400ixl said:
    I guess the question is, is this a committed spend, as in the holiday was already booked and deposit paid? If not then the advice above very valid and a holiday like this is not something to get into debt for.

If it has been committed to, then weighing up the sunk cost, and anything that cannot be refunded / avoided vs paying out more should be considered.

Or whether it would be better to default, based on the lack of employment and potential other debts. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    400ixl said:

I hadn't considered the possibility of a deposit already paid which will become a sunk cost if not proceeding.

It may well be better to still sacrifice the deposit. 

If the OP actually goes ahead with this £8k (plus deposit?) holiday, then the total the OP would now seek to finance would be £10k so that there is £2k for spending money etc. 
    The package may be "all inclusive", cruises often are, but cruises also have expensive excursions and plenty of opportunity to be up-sold to during the experience, for example premier dining options.  It would be rather harsh to be on a cruise that you struggled to afford and then unable to actually enjoy the experience to the full. 
    Far better to not go now and revisit the idea at a future time when finances better permit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback