Has my student loan been accruing the right amount of interest?

Options
I was reading the arcticle on MSE which talks about the interest applied to a Plan 2 student loan (new account so I can't provide a link). It says that, from the April after graduation, the interest your loan accrues is calculated based on your salary. If you earn less than the Plan 2 threshold, your interest is RPI. It then increases as you earn more, up to a maximum of RPI+3% when you're earning £49,310+.

- I graduated from my bachelors in June 2017 and from my masters in Oct 2018.
- I was unemployed from Oct 2018 to Sept 2019.
- In the tax year 2019-2020 I earned less than the Plan 2 threshold.

Based on these facts I would have assumed my loan would accrue interest at a rate of RPI from April 2019 to April 2020, but it continued to accrue RPI + 3% for this period (cross referencing with the GOV.UK's published rates). The other years of my Plan 2 loan look to be correctly adjusted. 

Have I misunderstood something? Has the interest been applied correctly? Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

N.B. I also wasn't sure if the interest scaling rule applied to graduation from the course which the loan was supplied for (i.e. if I graduated from my bachelors in June 2017, does the interest rate decrease to RPI in Apr 2018 if I am studying for a masters on a post-graduate loan?).

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was reading the arcticle on MSE which talks about the interest applied to a Plan 2 student loan (new account so I can't provide a link). It says that, from the April after graduation, the interest your loan accrues is calculated based on your salary. If you earn less than the Plan 2 threshold, your interest is RPI. It then increases as you earn more, up to a maximum of RPI+3% when you're earning £49,310+.

- I graduated from my bachelors in June 2017 and from my masters in Oct 2018.
    - I was unemployed from Oct 2018 to Sept 2019.
    - In the tax year 2019-2020 I earned less than the Plan 2 threshold.

Based on these facts I would have assumed my loan would accrue interest at a rate of RPI from April 2019 to April 2020, but it continued to accrue RPI + 3% for this period (cross referencing with the GOV.UK's published rates). The other years of my Plan 2 loan look to be correctly adjusted. 

Have I misunderstood something? Has the interest been applied correctly? Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

N.B. I also wasn't sure if the interest scaling rule applied to graduation from the course which the loan was supplied for (i.e. if I graduated from my bachelors in June 2017, does the interest rate decrease to RPI in Apr 2018 if I am studying for a masters on a post-graduate loan?).

The postgraduate loan is not a plan 2 loan. It accrues interest at RPI +3% every year (subject to the prevailing market rate cap).

All plan 2 loans for the same course become eligible for repayment the April after leaving the course when interest changes from RPI +3% (subject to the prevailing market rate cap) to between RPI and RPI +3% (subject to the prevailing market rate cap).
  • slclifetimevictim
    Options
    @Ed-1 Thanks, I was aware that the PG loan is different and is a flat RPI+3%.

Ed-1 said:

All plan 2 loans for the same course become eligible for repayment the April after leaving the course when interest changes from RPI +3% (subject to the prevailing market rate cap) to between RPI and RPI +3% (subject to the prevailing market rate cap).
    So from Apr 2018 (the April after graduation from bachelors) it should have decreased to RPI, until the point at which I started earning above the threshold?
  • slclifetimevictim
    Options
    I should have clarified, the Plan 2 only covered my bachelors. I took out a separate PG loan to cover my masters.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @Ed-1 Thanks, I was aware that the PG loan is different and is a flat RPI+3%.

Ed-1 said:

So from Apr 2018 (the April after graduation from bachelors) it should have decreased to RPI, until the point at which I started earning above the threshold?
    Yes it should and the RPI rate used changes on 1st September each year (based on the RPI for the prior March).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback