I've just been given the dreaded news, Advice Appreciated

Options
newbieni
newbieni Posts: 75 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,

I've just been told that due to company restructuring my role is being made redundant. I've entered a consultation period beginning today and ending on 13th May. I've been told I will have the option to apply for other roles that are coming about due to the reorganisation but I don't know how serious this statement is. HR officer will be speaking to me about these roles later this week.

This is all new to me and I am in a state of shock, what should I be doing?

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You have been made redundant 

It's quite obvious to me you should look for another job.

If you get an offer to move position then you can consider that too 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    newbieni said:
    I've been told I will have the option to apply for other roles that are coming about due to the reorganisation but I don't know how serious this statement is.
    This is something the Company must do and offer.  
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Your role will be made redundant, don't take it personally. 

Get your cv up-to-date and start looking for other jobs. Listen to what the HR person says about other opportunities that may be available in the organisation. Ask what support is available for external job searches, cv prep, interview prep, paid time off for interviews, etc. Be confident in front of the HR person, demonstrate that you are an individual the company would be daft to lose. They started this process, you don't owe them anything. Keep all your options open internally while looking externally. 

Assuming it's a decent redundancy package, don't leave before it is payable. The first £30k is tax free. 
  • newbieni
    Options
    mebu60 said:

Get your cv up-to-date and start looking for other jobs. Listen to what the HR person says about other opportunities that may be available in the organisation. Ask what support is available for external job searches, cv prep, interview prep, paid time off for interviews, etc. Be confident in front of the HR person, demonstrate that you are an individual the company would be daft to lose. They started this process, you don't owe them anything. Keep all your options open internally while looking externally. 

Assuming it's a decent redundancy package, don't leave before it is payable. The first £30k is tax free. 
    Is there anywhere I can get my CV reviewed?
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Options
    newbieni said:
    mebu60 said:

Ask the HR person.

Also, do you know anyone on a personal level involved in recruitment or who recruits people? Do you know someone who is annoyingly forensic with documents? 

No idea on current trends but used to be key points up front, keep it focussed on what you've done that's relevant to the role you are applying for, 2 pages of A4 max, clear font like Arial 11, use headings and bullet points. Say what you have done to achieve things. Get a details person to sense-check and proof-read. 
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of The 7 Second CV: How to Land the Interview by James Reed - it's a well written, easy to read book and gives some really sound advice about the type of CV to use and how to build it.  
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    Options
    newbieni said:
    mebu60 said:

CVs are marmite, everyone has their own preference for how they look. Personally I have two, one is "traditional" and it's what most job agencies prefer. One is much shorter and punchier but you cannot link back what I've done to which employer which can be helpful to me if my experience is old but some hate it and some use it exactly as it was intended to be (according to the person that recommended it before talking about me paying them £25,000)

You could ask HR or anyone you know that hires people that does the kind of job you do (eg your current manager or their peers). HR will be more vanilla, your manager will know specifics of what's good to see for your type of work. 
  • newbieni
    Options
    There was one thing that confused me today. The HR officer mentioned that the company redundancy package that I'm paid will be in addition to the government's statutory redundancy package. What does this mean?
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like you are getting enhanced redundancy so more than the statutory minimum which is good news. 
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    You have been made redundant 

It's quite obvious to me you should look for another job.

If you get an offer to move position then you can consider that too 
    no, the role the OP currently  holds has been made redundant 

the employer is obligated to offer suitable alternative employment if it is exists 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback