Help, Car finance complaints forgot details. Older than 6 years

Options
chrisd80
chrisd80 Posts: 9 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 22 March at 10:35AM in Reclaim car finance
I bought a car from car craft Sheffield around 2005/2006. I in my naive youth got taken on a bit by them, so reckon I'd definitely get a payout from this one.

Problem being I can't remember any details of the finance agreement or company. Unsure on car reg as well

You can only search your credit file back 6 years. So how can I find this. I'm certain on the bank I paid it with would these be able to provide statements from years back

Comments

• SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The car finance reclaim is back to 2007 only
    FTB - April 2020 
  • chrisd80
    chrisd80 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most likely before 2007. No definite yes or no. No harm in checking 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chrisd80 said:
    I bought a car from car craft Sheffield around 2005/2006. I in my naive youth got taken on a bit by them, so reckon I'd definitely get a payout from this one.

Problem being I can't remember any details of the finance agreement or company. Unsure on car reg as well

You can only search your credit file back 6 years. So how can I find this. I'm certain on the bank I paid it with would these be able to provide statements from years back
    You need to understand that there is no "definitely get a payout" nor is age or naivety relevant to this. Either the firm used the DCA model or they didn't, if they didn't, there is no issue. If they did, it only matters if it applied to you and your loan rate was put higher. Without any documentation or memory, how are you going to show you even had finance if the car firm has, per DPA/GDPR, likely deleted all your data?

You might be able to get old bank statements from the bank if you are still with them, if the account was closed >6-7 years ago, they likely deleted all your records too
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a) the FCA hasn't yet decided if there is any wrongdoing.
    b) the area they are looking at was used by a minority
    c) it could rely on a change in the Consumer Credit Act that applied from 2007 but not earlier (yet to be confirmed).  

So, reckoning on a definite payout would make you a naive adult.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback