Sim only with Three

Options
Hi all. 
I'm asking for my Daughter regarding a sim only deal. 
Her contract with three ends in March and has been around £35 per month. She wants to reduce this by using a sim only. We are unsure if her phone is locked to that network. She also wants to keep her number. 
Both her and myself are not tech savvy and have no idea how to obtain a sim only deal keeping her own number. I read about PAC codes and all seems a lot of messing about. I have been on u switch and there are many deals available. She's a bit worried she wont end up with enough data. Three web site offer deals but they aren't much cheaper than a monthly contract. 
Whats the best plan of action. 
Kind regards Jeff. 

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You could look at an "upgrade" (a new contract using the same number) via a third party reseller

https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/deals/sim-only/three?upgrade=1&sort_by=popular
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    She should phone them and say she is going to leave them unless she is given a good enough deal. They should try to keep her where they will put her through to retention.
    If all else fails changing provider isn't as difficult as it seems and you can easily keep your number. 
    When I changed I did have around a day of no phone service but that was just how it went.

I went from 3 to id mobile who piggy back off 3.
    At the moment they have 24 month unlimited SIM only plan for £16 a month but with the first 6 months at £8. This will mean no worries about data at least.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Simple way Sim only with 3, keeps number

£12 for 12Gig of data.. Expand to show all offers & cheaper ones are there.

best to look & see what she is using now. Might be surprised at how little some use despite being on phone a lot.
    Life in the slow lane
  • dc_scotland
    dc_scotland Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Smarty have a great deal just now, using the 3 network, 50gb for £8.
    https://smarty.co.uk/
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We left three when they stopped doing inclusive roaming, but ...
    You can tell how much data you use on the Three app - that's a good start to know what you need.
    I always found the 'live chat' to be good - simply do your research first ...
    "I've seen a good deal from O2 for £X but would rather not move providers. Can you offer me something better?"
    "Just a minute sir, let me check this for you ..."
    If no joy, just ask for your PAC, but remember that you don't need to use it at all if you don't want to. It expires after a month, and if you don't use it, your contract just carries on.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    i pay £8 for 25gb, unlimited texts and calls. Includes tethering.
  • Phil_the_Bin
    Options
    It definitely pays to haggle with 3. I was put on a 30gb of data plan for £19. I got put through to retention team and ended up with 120gb for £12 sim only deal.  I was very happy with that result. 

Phil the Bin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure