We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

TUI Cancellation Fee

Options
In October 2023 I booked a Marella cruise for March 2025.  I paid £300 deposit at the time of booking.  Sadly due to change of personal circumstances I cancelled the holiday this week. TUI agent informed me that an administration/termination fee of £600 would be deducted from my refund.  TUI T & C state that loss of deposit will be incurred and I have argued with TUI that as I paid a £300 deposit at time of booking this is all I should loose.  However they say that I paid a further deposit in December 2023 and I will loose £300 per person.

I have done a little research today and understand a travel companies cancellation/administration fee should be "reasonable and justifiable".  Given that I have cancelled over a year before I was due to travel am I right in thinking that a fee of £600 is certainly not reasonable or justifiable ?

I had not taken out travel insurance as I was advised it could only be obtained 1 year prior to travelling.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The full deposit is £300 pp.
    It sounds like you paid a low deposit of £150 pp and the remainder of the deposit was due in December 2023.

TUI are keeping the full deposit upon cancellation as per their T&Cs.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above , it's correct 
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah the "low deposit" scheme. Amazing how many people dont read the terms.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    'Low Deposit' schemes aren't always what they seem.  Some companies have a genuine low deposit option where there is nothing more due until final payment.  Others, like TUI, use it to encourage people to book but still require the full deposit to be paid even if the holiday is cancelled before the remainder of the deposit is due to be paid.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above - the TUI low deposit scheme is an attractive "carrot" to persuade punters to make a booking whenever they are looking at a specific holiday in a store or online.
    The key aspect, which many (perhaps most ?) customers didn't realise at the time of booking is that it is only a partial advance payment of the appropriate full deposit and the full deposit will be the required amount when due.
    Last time I made a TUI reservation in our local store (since closed) this was clearly explained to me upfront  - I suspect the company was experiencing numerous complaints on this issue and had instructed all branch staff to fully clarify.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure